Anna Schultz-Girl In Sunhat Looking Off Balcony
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

10 Types of Wine to Drink and Pretend You’re An Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

Everyone can agree that drinking wine brings a certain level of sophistication and adulthood. But what wine is the one for you?

Pinot Noir

This fruity red is a grown up juice box. It’ll also make you feel like an actress in a silent french movie.

Chardonnay

This buttery white is full bodied and scrumptious. Drinking it is probably one of the only things you’re comfortable having in common with your mom.

Cabernet

This is one of the most popular labels in the world! It’s rich and elegant, and will definitely make you forget that time you confidently said Hong Kong was in Europe.

Riesling

This spectacular German wine will make you all the rage with the exchange students. It’s a perfect medium in terms of taste, and you will feel extremely cultured while ordering it with some chicken tenders.

Zinfandel

As long as you’re bringing the red to the party, nobody is going to give you any trouble. This exotic grape is fruity while still being medium bodied and full of flavor. It’s peak adulting.

Sauvignon Blanc

What could be more grown up than ordering a wine you can barely pronounce? This is more on the dry side, but still sweet enough to get the full juice box effect.

Merlot

Similiar to the Cabernet, this is a very grown up drink that goes with very grown up food. This is prime time to order some chicken, beef, and roasted vegetables.

Champagne

This classic drink is the wine equivalent of people correcting you as you say “Frankenstein” instead of the more appropriate “Frankenstein’s Monster”. While Champange as a sparkling wine is known the world over, it can only be labeled as Champange if it comes from the Champange region in France. Extra adult points for remembering that.

Rosé

This is a beautiful complex drink, being both a white and red wine. There is nothing quite so elegantly paired as a good light Rosé with light foods. It is light adulting in itself.

Prosecco

This is Champagne’s distant Italian cousin. It is far more approachable, and can be paired with a wider array of options than the French variety. This is a great option to dip your toes in the water with wine pairings, and the start of a lifetime of impressing your friends.

Being an adult is hard, knowing something about wine makes it a little easier.

DISCLAIMER: Her Campus does not promote unsafe drinking practices, or underage drinking. Please drink responsibly!

Stephanie Zengler is a Business Administration major and Communication Studies minor, and she completely understands if you think her last name is actually Ziegler. Like a lot of business majors, Stephanie has a favorite Andrew Carnegie quote, and like a good communication minor, has very strong opinions on the Oxford comma. Aside from being a Stout student, Stephanie is an avid fan of Bay Area sports, Fleetwood Mac, and the amazingly perfect show Dollface.