This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Stout chapter.

We all know that waking up early is a challenge- especially when you have to do a physical activity right after getting out of bed. You may be crazy busy with end-of-semester projects and exams, a summer job or internship causing an abrupt change in your daily schedule, or you could be finding it harder and harder to wake up as the semester comes to a close. While it may be a challenge, it is certainly not impossible.

1. Have everything laid out the night before

This may seem like the obvious, but it is definitely a huge time saver in the morning. Nothing is more draining than trying to find that missing sock at 5:30 a.m. You should not only lay out your clothes, but also your morning breakfast, car keys, wallet, and a fully-packed gym bag. This will save you time and a ton of energy in the morning.

2. Remember that the hardest part about waking up is actually waking up

You may feel groggy as you hit the snooze on your alarm and immmediately want to crawl back under the covers. I promise that once you actually get out of bed and start getting ready this feeling goes away. You will feel better once you start moving. 

3.  Start off your morning strong

One of the drawbacks of early morning workouts is that some days you are awake before the sun is. To counter this, you may have to trick yourself into thinking it is daytime. Turn on all your lights, blast some music, and get ready to obliterate this workout.

4. If it is dark outside, treat it like nighttime

You would avoid wearing dark clothing on a night run, so you should certainly avoid dark clothing during an early morning run. If the sun is not up by the time you start your workout, remember to wear bright colors, reflective clothing, and/or a runner’s light. You do not have to break out a headlamp for your morning run (unless that’s your thing), but a simple LED light can make you more visible to drivers.

5. Remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

Unlike afternoon workouts, you do not have all day to drink water. Make sure you are still drinking water before, during, and after your workout.

6. Don’t forget about breakfast

Food is important for giving you energy during your workout. Even if it is just a granola bar, some peanut butter on toast, or a handful of dried fruit, eating a small breakfast is better than none at all. If you find youself unable to stomach food first thing in the morning, pack some energy gels or bars in case you start to feel tired during your workout. Also remember to eat post-workout, especially if you are not eating beforehand.

7. Plan your workout in advance

This will save you time and brainwork in the morning. Scheduling out your exercise plan will help you complete the whole workout and finish on time.

8. Use the buddy system

You don’t always have to suffer alone. Find a friend who enjoys similar physical activities and hold each other accountable. This does not mean you have to be attached at the hip when you go to the gym; but having someone to go with can help motivate you. You can even help cheer each other on during your workouts.

9. Reward yourself for all your hard work

Spare five dollars to buy yourself that latte once a week or plan a relaxing night. If you have a goal to work towards, it could help you stick to your exercise plan.

10. It’s important to push yourself, but do not overdo it

Some mornings, you will need to find extra motivation to get out of bed; however, make sure you are still getting enough rest. If you were up all night finishing a project and are running on a couple hours of sleep, hitting the snooze button is okay. It is better to skip a workout than to injure yourself.

Waking up before sunrise to workout is not always easy, but it is so worth it when you feel that sense of accomplishment and knowing you started off your day strong.

Kendra Lamer

UW Stout '19

Kendra Lamer is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at UW-Stout. She is a professional communication and emerging media major with a concentration in applied journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. When she's not doing school work or writing for Her Campus, you can find her dancing at the studio, going for a run, drinking coffee or decorating for holidays way too early. After graduating, she plans on pursuing a career in public relations or journalism and adopting lots of dogs.
Her Campus at UW-Stout