This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Have you ever felt like an outsider looking in on the events of your own life? Everyone has chosen how you should feel, what you should say, and how you should act, that you can no longer decide what feelings are your own. You constantly think in circles, holding it all in with great restraint. It’s not until the late hours of the night when you’re surrounded with nothing other than the hushed voices of doubt and regret that you find your voice. You shut out any possibility of ever having feelings for anyone again because you know that once you do, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You become consumed with what others think, that as soon as you’re happy, you destroy it based off of someones doubt or disapproval. You remind yourself daily that it’s ok to be alone, and you can’t love another until you love yourself. You are content with how you feel until you hear another state their opinion, and just like that you’re back to where you started. You spend so much time wasted looking for “the one” and dwelling on the ones who don’t want you. You’re constantly answering to someone and when you’re not, you’re answering to your own self doubt in a pool of uncertainty. 

Live your life. Don’t think about the people’s opinions around you, because at the end of the day who cares what they have to say. Close your eyes and listen to what you know to be true, follow the path you want to create for yourself. We spend so much time wasted listening to what other people want our lives to be. Take the risk, if someone tells you not to do something, do it anyway. I promise that the greatest miracles come from the things people dare you not to do. If you get hurt, or even worse those little voices of doubt were right, who cares. Shit happens. Everyone does things they aren’t necessarily proud of, it’s how you move forward and learn from it that counts. If you live your life worrying about what others want you to do and say, is it really a life that is yours? 

Hi my name is Madi! I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse as a Communications major. I love to sing, dance, play tennis, workout, cuddle my dog, and hang with my floor mates. I am a traveler and hope to visit all of Europe before I die.