Why the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show Should Inspire YOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Not only does December bring Christmas, eggnog, New Year’s, presents and family—but it also brings ANGELS.  Not literal angels, but Victoria’s Secret Angels.  The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show has been on for as long as I can remember.  The first one I ever watched was the one where Justin Bieber performed in 2012 (Yes, I was and still am a huge Belieber).  While watching, I had the most typical thought that any girl had during the show: Wow, I want to be just like her!

Many people believe that the show is a representation of sexual objectification towards women or is disrespectful.  I couldn’t disagree more.  Not only is Victoria’s Secret a lingerie line—we should already know that the women are going to be skimpily clad in lace and small pieces of fabric—but I’ve really grown to appreciate the women empowerment factor behind it.  These women are baring it all and having fun doing so, all with a huge smile on their face. The women themselves can be seen as sexy, but their confidence is what truly slays.  Here’s the top 3 reasons why the show should motivate YOU:

1. Using confidence in everything you do: These women are baring everything they have on national television—with no retouching or excessive editing.  The confidence to walk in lingerie or swimsuits is a tough one to build up.  Personally, through my experience competing in the Miss America Organization with a Lifestyle and Fitness in swimsuit portion, I always imagine I’m a Victoria’s Secret Angel (cheesy, I know).  You’re selling yourself and your personality to the audience, which I think can be contributed to aspects in our everyday lives.  Sell everything you do with confidence and always use your personality—because when you do, the sky’s the limit. 

2. Dress how you want: In today’s society, people are always commenting and even discriminating what women wear.  If a woman covers up too much, she is a prude.  If she is too revealing, she is called a sl*t.  It’s a double edged sword.  I love experimenting with clothes, whether it’s something like layering or wearing a crop top if I want.  We idolize these Angels on stage, but in a different setting it could be seen as inappropriate.  I challenge you to wear what you want and don’t second guess yourself.  Individuality is all about being who YOU are, without being a product of society. 

3. Self-love: Of course, the other thought we always have after watching is: Ugh!  I need to go to the gym.  If you are inspired to go create a work-out routine or try weight-training or add cardio to your day, then do it! Fitness not only can help you achieve physical happiness but mental happiness as well due to endorphins.  BUT—it’s also important to be comfortable in your own skin, not matter what size you are.  What many people don’t know is that models are the most insecure people you will ever meet.  Everyone has body issues, but we should embrace them.  What makes you most different is the thing that is most interesting/unique about you.  I challenge you to exercise—but do it for you.  I challenge you to embrace your flaws and most-loved aspects about yourself.  The secret to true beauty is YOU.