What to Remember as the New Semester Begins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Between winter vacation ending, school starting, and Valentine’s Day approaching our minds are being stretched once again, and we are bound to start feeling the stress of life again.  Because it is a new year, we often need to find a new mindset. It is okay to keep some of our habits, our ticks—it’s what makes us who we are–but we are also given the chance to throw away our unhealthy and damaging ones. We can prepare ourselves to be the best that we can be—because we deserve it.  This starts with looking at ourselves in a positive light and highlighting the aspects that make us special. You are unique, and you were put here for a reason. You are pursuing a college education and are destined for greatness. You are given the opportunity to broaden your knowledge and do something fantastic with it! It starts with self-worth.

The number of “Likes” on an Instagram post doesn’t make you any prettier, funnier, or better.  Social media is full of appearances and shows what people want others to see.  It often doesn’t depict reality–remember that when you are looking through someone’s feed and thinking, Wow, I wish my life was like that.  Everyone has their struggles and everyone has their demons.

Determining your attitude and likability doesn’t depend on a boyfriend or girlfriend. When you see people walking around campus with flowers, chocolates, or stuffed animals on Valentine’s Day, try not to, again, wish it was you. Having a significant other doesn’t say anything about your appearance or behavior. Things are often not what they seem. Learn not to rely on someone’s opinion of you, whether that be a cute guy in class or a judging adult. You are not the opinion someone holds of you. You are so much more than that, even if you can’t see it yet, but I promise you will eventually. You are not fighting a losing battle.

Do not spend Valentine’s Day screaming internally that you do not have someone to spend it with. It is just a day, just a silly tradition. It doesn’t have to mean anything to you…but you’re the one who is letting it! And if you do, appreciate the person you are with and be happy and content you have something that others would love. Adore your time! You never know what could happen.

Refuse to feel invisible this time around. As Eleanor Roosevelt put it, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”  Stand strong in your roots and be proud to show why you are here. Be someone that your 10-year-old self would be proud of and aspire to be. You are your own person, your own hero, and can make your own decisions. Make sure that they are the right ones for YOU, regardless of who else is involved. Put a stop to the ones who don’t pay attention—they aren’t worthy of the true you! 

Don’t hang on to the past. It is done. It is over with. All it will do is distract you from the present. You are more than your past mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, but the way we grow and learn from them is what sets people apart. Graciously accept, live, and learn. You will go a lot further and see more improvement in yourself than you ever thought you could.

Learn to forgive others, yet move on.  Some people just aren’t meant to be in your life. Achieving peace, serenity, and inner calmness will help you move forward to bigger and better things. Forgive yourself, forgive others, and learn to live kindly. Appreciate every opportunity you are given. It could just be the one to change your life.

Lastly, do not live in fear of the future. In college, we are constantly worrying about grades, internships, graduation, and job opportunities. Never miss a chance to jump at a dream.  You may fall, but don’t those losses prove to the world what you are made of? Your reaction to a failure will show more about your character than anything else, so lose graciously and get right back up. As previously stated, you may either think there is a plan for your life, or you may think that you determine your destiny. Whatever you choose or believe in, take chances and dictate your future. Take responsibility and be, unapologetically, yourself.  Remember the feeling of accomplishment, greatness, and confidence?  Channel that.  Remember.  Remember the first time you knew.