Vegetarian, Plant-Based, and Vegan, Oh My!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Some people might say that vegetarianism and veganism are just the current hottest trends in food. In some ways, they might be right (vegans make up about 6% of the US population today), but these diets do have a lot of rewards and benefits, both for your health and the planet! That’s not to say, however, that cutting out meat or animal products is easy or realistic for everybody. If you are interested in trying out a new diet (even a lifestyle!), there are a few things you should know.

What do the titles mean?

A vegetarian is someone who does not eat meat, but still eats other animal-based products like dairy and eggs.

“Plant-based” is a term that is often used interchangeably with vegan. According to the most formal labelers, people who do not eat meat or any other product that comes from an animal are plant-based dieters. Vegans eat plant-based diets, but also avoid any products that are produced using animals, including clothing and cosmetics (but again, many people who avoid all animal-based foods call themselves vegan even if they do not specifically avoid other animal products).

There are even more titles, including pescatarian (someone who eats fish but no other meats), lacto-vegetarian (will eat dairy, but not eggs or meat), ovo-vegetarian (will eat eggs, but not dairy or meat), and others.

Why cut out animal products?

There are lots of reasons for eliminating meat or animal products, including fair treatment of animals, environmental conservation, health benefits, and more. For the long explanation of these reasons, click on the hyperlinks included in the previous sentence, but here’s the short version: some people think that using living creatures for food is unethical on principle. Additionally, most animals in the food system are treated very badly–think hundreds of animals crammed into dark barns with no room to move, shot full of antibiotics to treat the many infections they develop in these conditions, and frequently abused by farm workers. This type of farming is a major contributor to climate change and other environmental issues. Finally, many vegetarians and vegans report better health and easier weight loss (often because they are more consious about their health, monitor their diets more closely, and eat more whole foods, fruits, and veggies).

Why not cut out animal products?

A vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is not practical for everyone. Grocery shopping, meal-planning, and eating out require more planning, especially at first. Additionally, vegan foods may be more expensive or hard to come but (but this is not always the case!).

And although there are a number of health benefits for vegetarianism and veganism, some people may find that their nutrition suffers by eliminating certain foods. In particular, some individuals lack sufficient protein (specifically vegans) without the protein found in meat and eggs. With a proper nutritional plan these nutrients can be supplemented with plant-based foods, but make sure you have a diet that works for you.

Finally, some people just like their meat! It comes as no surprise that certain foods are hard to give up. If this applies to you . . .

Do you have to go cold-turkey to reap the benefits?

Absolutely not!

There is a common sentiment that going vegetarian, plant-based, or vegan, requires your full and unwavering commitment. Some religious followers of these types of diets would support this statement. However, you don’t have to all in to make a difference. Skipping meat or animal products once a week (or even just one meal!) is better than doing nothing.

This is still true if you think you’d like to more someday in the future! Eliminating a major part of your diet all at once is too much change for many people and may be much less likely to stick. Change your diet slowly but surely, monitor your health as you go, and decide what foods are right for you.

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.