This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Recently, I just moved into my first house….eeep! No landlords or hall directors telling me no nails in the wall or no painting the bedrooms. I am free to do what I want. However, trendy home décor costs a pretty penny these days. After furnishing this house, and still not completely done, I already know how expensive it is to make your house feel like a home. Here are a few of my tips on how to cozy up your home without breaking the bank.

Start Looking ASAP

If you anticipate moving soon, and need furnishings, start looking NOW. Sometimes it takes a lot longer to find something that you like. For example, it took me over a month to find a couch I was even interested in. Or if you have to order something, it allows time for shipping so you have it by the time you move in. Start looking now so that you don’t have to rush into decisions later, which brings me to my next point.

Never Rush

One of my biggest tips is to not rush into buying anything for your home unless it’s vital. I kept watching for furniture online because I didn’t want to rush into anything and buy a couch I would regret. The last thing you would want is furniture you hate and décor you can’t stand.

Always Check Facebook Marketplace

This one is my lifesaver. It’s like a garage sale all day, every day, always with new items for reasonable prices. Like I said, I didn’t want to rush into a decision to buy a couch so I checked the FB Marketplace I think every day. Then one day I checked, and I ended up buying a barely used, well-kept, couch, loveseat and ottoman for $125.00. That’s right, insanely cheap and amazing quality. I’m always looking for new things to furnish my house with on the marketplace.

Never Underestimate Rummage Sales

Although with the marketplace so many things can be bought online, never take for granted a good Saturday morning rummage sale excursion or estate sale. One morning I woke up and decided to check out some local rummage sales and I ended up finding a well-kept dining room table with extensions, and 6 matching chairs, all for $70.00 and this table looked new. Sometimes people just buy new things but their old things are kept in great condition.

DIY Décor is More Popular Than You Think

DIY projects are becoming more and more popular. Don’t be afraid to try some crafts and furnish/decorate your house with them! You can make a craft night with your friends and make it a great time! On top of it being a cheap option, you can be proud of the things you made in your home!

Be Aware of What to Spend More Money On

I know that everyone wants the best for their home, but realize that you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg for every utensil, wall-hanging and throw blanket in your house. Look for cooking utensils at Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree and outlet stores. I’m sorry but rarely to people need a high-end potato peeler. Find the deals for wall-hangings at Hobby Lobby when they are 50% off not when they are full price. Spend money on the larger stuff of your house, the paint, the furniture, the technology. Don’t overspend on rugs, pictures and kitchen utensils.

Furnishing a home will definitely cost you some, but it makes your house feel like a home. It gives your home a personality and reflects you as well, so make sure you are proud of it. Think to yourself, “do I really need a $75.00 clock? Or could I find a cheaper one and then use that extra money to decorate the rest of my house?” However you decide to furnish your house, make sure you feel at home.

Erin is currently a senior at UW-La Crosse majoring in Marketing and minoring in Interpersonal Communications. Being born and raised in La Crosse, she can't part with her hometown and her family. Fun-loving and outgoing, Erin smiles every chance she gets!