Things to Keep in Mind as Holiday Traditions Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

When we were kids, the holiday season was always magical. Between Santa Claus coming to your house, all of your relatives paying attention to you, and what seemed like endless ornaments and sparkles everywhere you looked, everything about the season was special, and the traditions you developed made it even more so.

As we get older, though, some of these magical memories start to change. We may have to face financial constraints, aging family members, new or fading relationships, and other factors that can impact our favorite traditions. Although these changes can be disappointing at the holidays, there are a few important things to remember no matter what.

Remember that material gifts are not the most important part of the season. If you don’t have the cash to buy your loved ones extravagant gifts (you are a college student, after all!), don’t fret. A homemade gift may be even more meaningful if you can’t afford that top-ticket item. Also remember that others in your life may be in the same boat.

Remember that nobody is trying to ruin your holiday. When traditions you love find their way to the back burner, it can feel like a personal attack. However, an aging parent who is unable to do what they used to is probably just as disappointed as you to see cherished rituals fade away. Try to find a suitable replacement that works for everyone instead of being angry that old traditions don’t work out.

Remember that change is not always a bad thing. Everyone loves their favorite traditions–but life happens, and sometimes parts of these traditions have to fade away and turn into something new. Look for ways to replace your favorite activities with others, and you just may find that you love the new ones just as much.

Remember that what you do at the holidays is less important than who you do it with. One of the best parts of the season is the way it brings people together, so take advantage of this time–after all, it won’t last forever.

Last but not least, remember to enjoy your holidays, no matter how they may change. Change is a part of life, so embrace the ones you love this year and every year.

Anne is a junior at UW-La Crosse studying Broadcast and Digital Media Communication and Graphic Design. When she isn't busy studying or writing for Her Campus, Anne loves music, photography, drawing, and painting. Also, naps.