Reduce, Reuse, Recycle…Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Many people have started referring to our generation, the Millennials, as some kind of new age hippies. I, for one, am very happy with this label. Another aspect of our generation that I am very happy with is that thrifting has become a pretty socially acceptable and cool thing to do. This is awesome because thrifting not only saves money, but it saves the planet as well. We are all out there trying to be unique little humans and thrifting is the perfect way to create a style that is completely your own. The only problem with thrifting is that the whole experience might seem a little chaotic at first due to the overwhelming variety of selection. If the thought of shopping at a thrift store stresses you out a bit, check out this list of tips on how to navigate a thrift store!

1. Check anything you are thinking about buying for stains, rips, tears, and missing buttons.

An easy way to sift through the wide variety of clothes at a thrift store is to immediately check everything for wear and tear. While a missing button may not be a reason to not buy an item, it is a little annoying to get home and realize that you have to sew a button on. As far as rips and stains go, someone donated these clothes to the thrift store for a reason and many times that reason is because of stains that refuse to come out.

2. TRY ON EVERYTHING!

Don’t be afraid to head to the dressing room with an obscene amount of clothing. First of all, half of what you grab won’t end up fitting right and you’ll have to put it back. Second of all, clothes at thrift stores are never displayed nicely or put on a mannequin. This means you have to dig around and try on whatever seems interesting. There’s a lot of nonsense at thrift stores, but there are also unique little gems that are totally worth the extra effort of digging around.

3. Check out crazy patterns.

Its an unspoken requirement that you must try on at least one crazy pattern while thrifting! Absolutely crazy patterns are in at the moment; however, they never look cool on a hanger. Find the most unique pattern you can, no matter how ridiculous it may seem, and take it to the fitting room immediately.

4. Clothes with animals on them are cool!

Fish, wolves, lions, cats, dogs, ducks–I would highly suggest owning at least one t-shirt or sweater with an animal on it. Enough said.

5. Building up your professional wardrobe?

Most college kids are working with a tight budget (no shock there); so buying professional clothing can really burn a hole in our pockets. Luckily and surprisingly, thrift stores are great for when you need to boost up your professional wardrobe. Dress pants, blazers, button-ups, cardigans– thrift stores are stocked-full of these items and they will cost you a fraction of the price than if you were to buy from a retail store! They will also be way more interesting and unique.

6. Check out the Men’s section.

This might seem like a “duh” point, but when I first started thrifting I never ventured into the men’s section and, let me tell you, I was missing out. This is the place you want to go when you’re looking for ugly sweaters, big cardigans, funky t-shirts, oversized flannel, or maybe a nice hat. I know buying a hat from a thrift store may sound crazy, but you can wash or freeze it to get rid of any unwanted bacteria if you are really nervous about it.

7. Scope out the jewelry cases.

Thrift stores are always STOCKED with unique jewelry. Most of the time the jewelry is displayed in a locked glass case to prevent shoplifting, but don’t be afraid to ask someone to open that baby up! You’ll be amazed by all the vintage necklaces and rings you will find. Watches are usually worth checking out as well.

8. Check out local thrift stores instead of chains.

Goodwill is a wonderful thrifting location–there’s no denying that. However, I have usually found that local thrift stores are more fruitful. I found these beautiful boots at a shop called “NU 2 U.” There’s not as much traffic at local shops; so, the items don’t get picked through as often. If it’s off-beat, one of kind items you are looking for, then I would recommend avoiding the chains and shopping local. Plus, its also very cool to support local businesses.

9. On vacation? Go thrifting.

Thrifting is one of my favorite things to do when on vacation. You can get a souvenir for a fraction of the price you would pay at all those tourist shops and, chances are, you will find something far more unique as well! Thrifting in new places also gives you a chance to learn about the community you are visiting in an unusual way. A thrift store’s selection of items reveals a lot about a community its located in.

10. Make your own high-waisted jean shorts.

If you are looking to buy a pair of high-waisted jean shorts, check out your local thrift shop before heading to American Eagle or whatever your chosen retail jean shop is. Thrift shops are stacked with high-waisted mom jeans. Try on a bunch and then pick out a pair that you could see being made into some sweet shorts. Take them home and cut them yourself! Drip some bleach on them and rip some holes! Homemade jean shorts are always more eye catching and vintage than store bought ones. Just make sure to cut them a little longer than your ideal length because the edges will fray and run up a little bit after washing them.

11. Stop by the sunglasses.

If you are like me and loose or break sunglasses within a month of buying them, then buying thrift store sunglasses is probably something you should start doing. Why pay fifteen dollars for a pair of shades when you could pay two? Especially when said shades are probably going to bite the dust pretty quickly. Plus, crazy funky shades are totally in at the moment and they add a bit of flare to any outfit!

12. Go with your friends!

Thrifting definitely takes more time than simply going to a retail store; however, you can make it a fun little outing with your friends. Take pictures and try on ridiculous outfits until you find something completely original and completely your own. Grab some buds, get out there, and start hunting!

Hello Folks! My name is Erin and I am senior at UWL majoring in English Education. Music and writing are my passions. I have been to over fifty concerts in my life and I have worn the same beat up old converse to every single one. My outlook on the world tends to be a little off the beaten path, but I hope you enjoy my perspective!