Meet Sophie Nelson: Fundraising Coordinator for Wisconsin Microfinance for La Crosse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Meet Sophie Nelson! She’s the Fundraising Coordinator for Wisconsin Microfinance for La Crosse! Read all about the benefit concert coming up in April to raise awareness for a great cause!

HC: Hometown? 

SN: Ephraim, Door County, Wisconsin 

HC: Major/Minor? 

SN: Majors: International Business and Economics, Minors: Spanish and Sustainable Business 

HC: Tell us a little bit about Wisconsin Microfinance. 

SN: Wisconsin Microfinance is a nonprofit organization that works to reduce poverty by providing microloans to very poor communities in areas of Haiti and the Philippines. The loans are provided in a “loan-pool” format to be distributed to local entrepreneurs. These loans target women, many of whom have not had a paying job before. The program has been incredibly successful, with a 100% payback rate and 800 more individuals on the waiting list. 

HC: What is your role with Wisconsin Microfinance?

SN: I am the fundraising coordinator for the La Crosse area 

HC: Give us more information on the Reggae for a Reason Benefit Concert. 

SN: Reggae for a reason will be held on April 14th from 4 to 9 at the Pearl Street Brewery. There will be live music from the award winning reggae band Unity. Entrance is $5, which gets you one free raffle ticket. Additional raffle tickets may be bought and will give you a chance to win one of many prizes from local businesses! 100% of the money raised will go towards creating new loans for aspiring entrepreneurs in these very poor communities. 

Come out on April 14th to support Wisconsin Microfinance and enjoy a great beer and amazing music while your at it!

April 14th from 4 to 9PM Music 6-9 PM Music is provided by Unity the Band, an award-winning original roots reggae band based in Wisconsin!

100% of all funds raised goes towards creating new loans! Win awesome raffle prizes provided by local businesses! Entry fee $5- gets you one raffle ticket

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller