Lorde Had a Feminist Quote Sewn into Her Grammys Dress and I’m on Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

The 60th Grammy awards took place this month, and like any awards show with a red carpet, it was a big night for fashion.

Lorde, whose sophomore album Melodrama was nominated for album of the year, turned heads and fired up hearts on the red carpet. Of the five nominees for album of the year, Lorde was the only female artist. In response to the music industry’s lack of female recognition, Lorde had a feminist message sewn into the back of her dress and shared the photo on instagram with the caption:

“My version of a white rose — THE APOCALYPSE WILL BLOSSOM — an excerpt from the greatest of all time, jenny holzer ??”

The full quote from feminist artist Jenny Holzer reads:

Rejoice! Our times are intolerable. Take courage, for the worst is a harbinger of the best. Only dire circumstance can precipitate the overthrow of oppressors. The old & corrupt must be laid to waste before the just can triumph. Contradiction will be heightened. The reckoning will be hastened by the staging of seed disturbances. The apocalypse will blossom.

Lorde’s take on supporting the Time’s Up movement on the red carpet was both artistic and inspiring. Sewing feminist quotes into clothes?! Brilliant. I’m hoping sewing feminist quotes into our everyday clothes becomes a fashion trend in 2018…it’s certainly a trend I’d love to take part in.

Lorde may not have won album of the year, but she certainly won the red carpet. The hit song “Royals” from her debut album Pure Heroine seemed to predict the future because Lorde absolutely ruled the Grammys.

Check out more of the photos Lorde shared from her night on instagram.

Rachel is an English major and Graphic Design minor at UW-La Crosse, with a serious case of wanderlust. Her time is spent writing, drinking coffee, hiking, discussing Harry Potter, and being distracted by the sky.