How To Make Friends in College: It’s Not Too Late

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Either you’re a freshman and you’re trying to meet new people or you’re a senior making a final attempt at making friends in college. Both are not exactly a piece of cake. We are a bunch of grown 6 year olds trying to find playmates again, yet somehow Kindergarten seemed so much easier. It’s understandable considering we never thought we would be back in this tortuous situation again, but here we are…back to the start. Now, we have to try and remember how to make small talk again and form new relationships. The secret? You have to climb out of your comfort zone and risk making a fool out of yourself, over and over again (unfortunately). There’s really no escaping it, but eventually you’re going to catch some good ones that’ll stick.

So, where can I find these awkward situations? You may ask. Here are a few places to start…

1. In Class

Talk to your classmates, particularly the ones that sit next to you. Make small talk about your assignments or the big game last Sunday or compliment their outfit. Tell them you have the same boots in red. Lie if you have to (A little white lie never hurt anyone, right?)! The goal is to spark conversation and find common interests. Make a point to work on a difficult assignment together outside of class and maybe grab some coffee before or after.

2. In a Club or Organization

Join a club or organization that interests you (I mean, chances are other members will be interested in it as well). You’ll already have things in common!

3. Friends of Friends

Hangout with your friends’ friends. Make conversation with them and get their numbers so you can hit them up as well. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people, everybody loves to make more friends!

4. Group Members

Group projects, especially semeseter long ones, are the perfect opportunity to make some new friends. The key is to get together with them and do something other than schoolwork. Go for a drink after a long meeting or order some pizza!

5. Neighbors

Whether you’re in the dorms or living off-campus, make a point to introduce yourself to your neighbors. Invite them over for a small gathering to get to know each other better. Have a cookout or share your homemade cookies your grandma sent you. Sharing food is an easy excuse to talk to people!

Remember, just be yourself, try to break out of that shell of yours and embrace those awkward moments. Eventually (hopefully) those awkward moments will turn into a friendship! 

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO