This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

This Wednesday, February 26th, in The Bluffs in the Student Union from 10:00-2:00, the Academic Advising Center & Career Services is hosting the Spring 2020 Career Fair. This is a great opportunity to put yourself out there and apply for different job positions and career opportunities! From practicing interviewing with real employers to the chance at finding your next job, you can’t afford not to go. Besides dressing for the part, you also have to show WHY you deserve the part and that is through, yes you guessed it, your resume. While building a resume can be intimidating, it doesn’t have to be! It’s a chance to brag and emphasize everything you’ve done in your life so far. With these quick and easy fixes, your resume can go from boring old words on a white piece of paper to something employers actually WANT to read!

1.) Ditch the Word Processor

Never thought you’d hear those words? While it might seem easier to create a resume by using word, there are actually many great websites that provide you with unique and individualized templates! Remember to use easy to read fonts such as Helvetica, Arial, Calibri, or Times New Roman. Try out canva.com or search for one on your own!  

2.) Include a Picture of Yourself

This not only gives your employer to look at, but it also makes a first professional impression. Make sure to use a professional looking photo though! I recommend using a white background, close up positioning, and dressed in professional clothing. Don’t forget to smile! 

3.) Proofread

I know this may sound like an obvious one, but make sure to proofread and use spellcheck! Another good trick is to read your resume out loud to check for errors. Have your friends, family, and the career center proofread it! They might be able to catch mistakes that you wouldn’t have or they can give their honest first impressions of it. 

4.) Make a cover letter

The purpose of a cover letter is to introduce yourself to the job or position you’re applying for, demonstrate your interest in the company, and to motivate the reader to want to read your resume and to interview you. This letter is the first contact you have with a potential future employer so it’s important to make it look good!

5.) Update your resume

Upon coming to college, make sure to update your resume to best reflect who you are and have been recently. Try not to include stuff from high school. Add any awards you’ve received, new skills you’ve taken on, or anything else that would make an employer want to hire you!

Those are just a few quick steps you can take to instantly make your resume something that people want to read! Once your resume has been perfected, make sure to dress the part, do your research on prospective companies, and remember to be confident! 

Hi, My name is Morgan Hose and I am a first year UWL student! I am double majoring in Political Science and Communications on the Pre-Law track. In my free time, I love to binge watch criminal minds, run, and spend time with friends!