Campus Celebrity: Welcome to New York

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Hometown: Wisconsin Rapids

Age:23

Graduation date: December 14, 2014

Major/Minor: Communication Studies: Broadcast Digital Media emphasis, two minors: Organizational & Professional Communication and Sports Broadcasting

What did you want to be when you were little? I actually always wanted to be an actress or a singer, but once I found out I couldn’t sing, I changed my path a bit.  I always knew that I really just wanted to speak in front of people in some way and inform people about, honestly anything. 

What is your favorite part about UW-L and the La Crosse community?  My favorite part of UWL?  That’s a tough one because I love so many things!  I really like the fact that, anywhere you go, you feel like you belong.  La Crosse has so many diverse groups of people and everyone seems to support each other in many different ways. 

What activities were you involved with during your time at UW-L? I was involved with WMCM-TV and RAQ Radio for a few years.  I used to occasionally play volleyball, racquetball and badminton at the REC as well.

Who is your role model? I have several role models including my parents and Justin Timberlake but one huge one is my older brother, Mark.  He always pushes me to exceed my limits in fitness and work, while keeping me in check to stay humble and grateful for everything that I have. 

What internships and/or jobs have you held that helped get you to the point you are at today? (Expand on internship with The Late Show and semester in NY if possible)

• The Late Show with David Letterman, Fall 2013 – Writers’ Intern
  • Country Music Television, Summer 2014 – Hot 20 Countdown News Intern
  • The Late Show with David Letterman, January 2015-current – Page

Each job helped to better prepare me for the entertainment industry.  I’ve had experiences with transcribing, bettering my interpersonal communication skills, researching clips and celebrities, and with interviewing celebrities.  Moving so much in the last year has helped me become independent and obtaining these positions has opened my eyes to see that, seriously,anything is possible.

This past summer, you had the opportunity to work with CMT in Nashville, Tennessee. What was your position and what knowledge did you gain from this experience? I was an intern with the news department for the Hot 20 Countdown.  I gained knowledge in transcribing, digitizing clips, and skills in maintaining professionalism and interviewing.  This was an internship that I dreamed about since I knew what I wanted to do.  I got to see the process of creative ideas coming to life.

What has this opportunity taught you so far career-wise or otherwise?  All of my opportunities taught me to make yourself seen, by volunteering for tasks and jobs that others may not know you are qualified for.  Lasting impressions and a strong work ethic can get you far in life and networking is key!

What advice would you give to anyone who wishes to pursue a career in broadcasting? Whatever you want to pursue, pursue it!  I used to be embarrassed to tell people that I wanted to get into hosting but it’s incredible the doors that one opportunity can open up for you.  I applied for over 40 internships for the summer of 2013 and didn’t hear back from one but with persistence, I happened to land The Late Show internship.  Never give up or be afraid to put yourself out there because you never know what may happen!  Life is weird!

How does it feel to be this week’s Campus Celebrity? It feels great that you thought of me even though I recently graduated.  I hope that some of my story/advice can help people to see that anything can seriously happen if you are dedicated to what it is you want to do!  Thanks Tia!