Campus Celebrity: UW-La Crosse Senior, Joshua Gran Mayor of Hometown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.
UW-La Crosse senior, Joshua Gran was elected mayor of his hometown, Caledonia, Minnesota on November 4th, 2014. He officially began his newfound position on January 1st of the New Year. Joshua is only 21-years-old and has undoubtedly made history as the youngest mayor in Caledonia and quite possibly the youngest to hold office in the state of Minnesota!  

Hometown: Caledonia, MN

Graduation date: May 2015

Major: Finance and Economics
Minor: Accounting

What is your favorite thing about UW-L and the La Crosse community? UW-L is a friendly campus where a lot of people know each other.  Whether you are walking to class or walking home, people who you have never met still smile at you.

Why did you choose to attend UW-La Crosse? I picked UW-L because of its business program along with its proximity to my hometown.

You played football at UW-L your freshman year and have helped coach since then. How has being a part of the “flock” as a player and coach aided your leadership perspective and work ethic? I have found it highly valuable to be on both sides of the coin.  You get a better understanding of what all goes into the game of football.  Overall, it has been a real learning experience for me.

What courses have you taken at UW-L that have helped to shape your career decisions? Which classes would you recommend to someone pursuing a degree in your major? I really liked my economics course Labor Economics with John Nunley.  Individual income taxation with William Mass was a great class as well, you learn a lot that you can apply in real life.  The bad part is that you learn no matter what you do the government will always get their taxes; and they tax everything.
How long have you wanted to pursue a career in politics? What motivated you to run for Mayor of your hometown? Politics is something I became interested in when I was a senior in high school.  I was motivated to run for Mayor because I didn’t want what is happening to this nation to happen to my hometown and having the ability to make a difference and improve people’s life I feel is a great opportunity.

How do you plan to manage your position as Mayor of Caledonia, Minnesota and your final semester of school at UW-L? I am going to be busy but what college student isn’t.  I will need to make sure I use the time I am given efficiently.

What are you most looking forward to as Mayor of Caledonia?  The opportunity to make meaningful improvements that benefit the people of this great community.

What is your dream job? I would like to be a consultant at McKinsey, Bain, or The Boston Consulting Group.

How do you feel about being this week’s Her Campus UW-Lax Campus Celebrity? I am surprised and humbled.  UW-L has so many students doing great things!
Best of luck to you Joshua as you take on your role as Mayor of Caledonia, Minnesota. We wish you the best with your future endeavors!