Campus Celebrity: RHAC President, Bridget Fish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Bridget Fish–not only can she juggle, but she is a natural born leader ready to take on the world and leave her imprint at UW-La Crosse. 

Originally from Reedsburgh, Wisconsin, Bridget is a junior at UWL majoring in Communications Studies with an emphasis in Advocacies and Communication Criticism and double minoring in French and Psychology. When she isn’t taking on the world through adventures and class work, she is our Resident Hall Association Council (RHAC) president.

Leadership made her find her passion and point her to her future; This is what she has to say about taking on such an influential roll on campus and what she hopes to accomplish…

1. How did you get involved with The RHAC? What made you decide to become President?

Freshman year I didn’t get involved until second semester, but that was just in my hall. That summer, a vacancy opened on the RHAC executive team for the Vice President of University Affairs on the RHAC exec. Team. So, I decided to run for it, and I won. I enjoyed being the Vice President, but then I decided to study abroad, so I only got to be involved for a semester. While I was abroad, an email was sent out that it was time to run for RHAC positions, and I decided, why not go for president? I wanted this position, because I loved being involved in high school, especially in student government, and I thought RHAC would be perfect. I, also, wanted to be involved more on campus after I came back from my study abroad program.

2. What plans do you have for RHAC president; What do you hope to achieve?

As RHAC president I want to get more students involved with student leadership, and I also hope to create a relationship between Greek life and residents on campus. My plan to create this relationship is to get Greek life and residents at a social event held with residents and one or more Greek chapters on campus.

3. What do you enjoy most about RHAC?    

I love how many people I get to meet around campus. I have met so many awesome leaders from other clubs, councils or associations on campus. I love when I make connections with others and am able to see those connections around campus.

4. What have you learned from RHAC, and what do you hope to gain as president? 

I have learned student voice is very important to campus. Student voice is especially important now with the budget cut going on and affecting our campus right now. I try to make sure that our student voice is still heard and listened to on campus. I hope to gain more leadership skills and experience to help me with a career path in the future, but I also hope to help students grow into leaders themselves.

5. What has been your biggest struggle so far as President? What did you do to prepare for this position?

My biggest struggle with being president, so far, is making sure I don’t take too much on. It’s a struggle sometimes to find that balance between personal and academic life. Last year being on executive board as vice president really helped me prepare for this year as president. Also, I have talked with Mitch, last year’s RHAC president, and have gone through documents and other items to see where I can leave my own imprint.

6. What’s your dream job?

My dream job would be a State 4-H Communication Art Specialist, because I’ve worked with the ones in Wisconsin in past year, and they have helped me realize my potential and what I want to do in life. I would love to go to a state where 4-H isn’t as popular and help it grow bigger within that state—to help others understand 4-H is not just about farming, but can also teach you to juggle.

I think it’s safe to say Bridget has a fabulous chance on achieving every one of her goals. I mean, she did get elected RHAC president while she wasn’t even in the same country. Best of luck to Bridget and her bright future!