Campus Celebrity: NASA Co-Chair, Maddie Johns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Maddie Johns is caring, fun, lovable, absolutely hilarious, and she’s one of your Native American Student Association (NASA) Co-chair! This Campus Celebrity is involved in many student organizations on campus and just proves she has a heart of gold.

Year in school: Senior

Expected graduation date: Spring 2016

Major/minors: Biology/Psychology, Pre-PA

Hometown: Muskego, Wisconsin

Tell me about Native American Student Association. What is its mission?

The UW-La Crosse Native American Student Association (NASA) strives to create an alliance among Native and Non-Native students in both the La Crosse campus and community. We, as an organization, bring awareness to students and community members regarding Native Americans by including perpetuating cultural traditions through education, increasing cultural sensitivity and awareness of indigenous issues throughout the UW-L and Wisconsin communities, providing support to Native youth in pre-collegiate activities, and working to assist Native students in their post-secondary endeavors.  

How did you get involved with NASA?

The summer before my freshman year, I did a 6 week academic program through the Office of Multicultural Student Services. This allowed me to make many connections before the fall semester began, and it was through this that I was exposed to NASA. I then became involved with NASA and have been for the past 4 years now. NASA operates with two Co-chairs rather than a president and vice president, and it was during my sophomore year that I was nominated and elected as one of the organization’s Co-chair.

What do you hope to achieve as Co-chair of NASA?

I hope to have a successful year comprised of different events for students and community members to attend and to grow even more as an organization. With the help of fellow members, I want to plant something that will still be impacting students and staff of our campus and community members of the La Crosse area for years to come.

What do you enjoy most about NASA?

I enjoy many things about NASA, but one of the most enjoyable parts for me is simply leading an organization with other passionate student leaders and together educating others and ourselves about a group of people that are seen as invisible all too often.

What have you learned/gained from being a part of this organization?

I have learned a lot about myself as an individual and as a Native womyn. I have gained a lot of knowledge regarding Native Americans and different tribes that I didn’t know much about prior to coming to La Crosse, which has only expanded my knowledge and awareness of related issues.

Are you involved with anything else on campus?

In addition to NASA, I am involved with the Asian, Latina, African, and Native American Womyn (ALANA) student organization, UW-L Cheese Club, Pre-Physician Assistant Club, and Active Minds.

What plans do you have after you graduate?

I have been applying and plan to attend graduate school (Physician Assistant programs) after graduation!

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO