All You Need to Know About Business Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

When a UW-La Crosse student hears “dinner etiquette” they might be thinking, no elbows on the table and no talking while you’re chewing, or, they might be laughing, because the only kind of dinner rules we follow at Whitney Dining Center is to dump our plates at the dumping station before leaving. But dinner etiquette has to do with so much more than just manners at the dinner table; dinner etiquette is actually quite complicated. Some of you may have already known this if you attended the Fall Etiquette Dinner last Wednesday on campus. At the event, you may have learned about appropriate dinner conversation, how to enter and exit a conversation, or how to hold your silverware during a business dinner setting. All of these, even though they may not seem too important, can actually have a big impact and impression on you when attending a dinner event. Even if you did or did not attend, I’m here to share some main tips on what you should and should not do when dining, so you can attend your dinner without feeling nervous!

1. First things first, what NOT to do.

You never want to be the one person that stands out and embarrasses themselves at dinner. Even if you don’t know many dinner etiquette rules or forget them when the time comes, just remember to be polite and classy when eating. For sure, don’t be the one trying to shove down as much food as possible. TIP: Be calm, and try to stay relaxed, even if the vibe of the dinner feels intense.

2. Dress according to the dress code.

Now that you know what not to do, here’s is the first thing you should do. Business etiquette starts even before getting to the dinner table. Always make sure you are dressed nicely.  I think everyone would agree that they would rather be over-dressed than under-dressed. Take time deciding what you’re wearing, and save the jeans for later. You want to make sure that you check the dress code, so that you are dressed appropriately compared to everyone else. Business casual is probably the most common dress code you will see. So girls, swap those jeans for either a skirt or dress and collared shirt or sweater. For the boys, nice pants and a collared shirt will do. 

3. Arrive on time.

This is probably one of the most important things when making a good impression. Make sure you check the time for dinner, and make sure you arrive on time, maybe even a few minutes early! Let them know that you are excited to be having dinner with them. Take the time to introduce yourself to everyone you will be having dinner with, and make some small talk before getting to your table. 

4. Sit up straight.

When you finally get to the table and you take your seat, remind yourself of a few things. Make sure you’re sitting up straight and not slouching. When you slouch you look less confident and bored; Even if that is the case, you do not want to give that impression off. Also, try not to be swinging in your chair and don’t sit cross-legged on your seat. Sitting cross-legged may be appropriate at Whitney, but it isn’t in a business setting. So sit down, cross your legs if you have to, sit up striaght and place the napkin on your lap so you are ready to go.

5. Ordering your food:

In the mean time, before ordering your food, keep up with the conversation that your business partners or peers are talking about and make comments when appropriate. When it comes time to order your food, make sure you’re being polite and don’t order the most expensive thing on the menu. Make sure to order something that is not messy and is easy to eat. Remember to say “please” and “thank you” when needed and use good eye contact. TIP: Wait for the host or other guests to order before ordering yourself to get a sense of what everyone else is ordering and spending. 

6. During dinner:

While eating, make sure you’re chewing your food completely and slowly. Take your time while eating; you don’t need to rush. When you want to talk, make sure it’s in between bites! Place your napkin on your lap and use when needed. If you need sauce from across the table don’t try and reach for it, which may risk knocking over some glasses; ask the person next to you if they would hand it to you. When you’re done eating, place your silverware neatly on your plate and your napkin to the side of your plate to indicate that you are done eating.

7. After dinner:

When the dinner is over the host should be in charge of taking care of the bill. Shake hands and remember to say thank you to the host for the meal before leaving. 

Attending a fancy dinner/business dinner may seem intimidating at first, but with some confidence and a few tips you will survive it just fine and maybe even have some fun! 

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller