harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Myths About Depression You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

“It feels like a soulless pit,” “a dark hole,” “a numbing sadness,” “like drowning”; these are just a few ways people with depression may describe their illness. There are a lot of stigmas attached to depression, and because it’s difficult for someone who has it to explain, it can be difficult for friends and family members to help or even recognize depression. According to the American Psychological Association, mental illness is on the rise among college students and young adults. It can affect their daily functioning and can be very challenging at such a stressful and demanding time in their lives. Although stress can be a factor in depression (WebMD states), there is much more to it than that, and the sooner we accept that depression is a serious mental condition the sooner we can help and cure those who suffer from it. 

1. Myth: Depression is all in your head.

Although a lot of depression is associated with mentality and emotional symptoms, people with depression can suffer from many physical symptoms as well, such as insomnia, fatigue, changes in appetite and weight, chronic muscle aches and chest pains, according to WebMD. Depression consumes a person and is both physically and mentally draining. 

2. Myth: Teens and young adults are naturally depressed and unhappy.

Yes, teens and even young college students can be moody, irritable and drawn to “the dark side,” but depression is another story, and long periods of sadness and other signs and symptoms of depression are not normal, according to Mental Health America. It’s important to recognize the difference and to not excuse these things because of “nature.”

3. Myth: Depression is not a real medical problem.

Depression is often confused with sadness. While some of the symptoms are the same, depression is often much more than the “blues” and usually lasts much longer. Biological evidence showing abnormal brain activity levels have been found through scans where key brain chemicals that carry signals between nerves appear to be out of balance (WebMD). It can be difficult to recognize as symptoms are not a one-size-fits-all and aren’t always noticeable, but belittling this condition only deters people from seeking help.

4. Myth: It will go away on its own.

There is debate on whether antidepressants are the best way out for depressed persons. It seems most would agree, though, that antidepressants should not be the sole treatment. In a study done by the National Institute of Mental Health, 70% of people became symptom-free through medication, but studies show the best treatment combines the use of medication with talk therapy, including positive thinking exercises. In cognitive behavioral therapy people learn new ways of thinking and behaving, as hard as it may be for some people. Either way, depression rarely goes away on its own (Mental Health America) and as it can last up to years, it is encouraged to seek treatment. Support from family and friends is extremely important and is important for family and friends to reach out and recognize as well.

5. Myth: It’s a sign of mental weakness. They’re just being dramatic.

For some reason, our culture seems to have high standards of will power and mental toughness. Signs of weakness, especially in males, are often shamed. On the contrary, people with depression are not lazy and do not simply “feel sorry for themselves.” From what I’ve experienced, most of the time people who suffer depression do what they can to not draw attention to themselves, and they may even put on a happy face in public. It is often even difficult for them to talk about it or admit it to someone. People do not choose to be depressed. In fact, I think it’s safe to say that no one with depression would wish it on their worst enemy. They cannot simply “will” it away.

6. Myth: It’s always brought on by traumatic events.

Everyone experiences ups and downs in life, but depression is not always brought on by the loss of someone, divorce or losing your job. It can creep up on you, slowly, and that can make it even harder to recognize. It may start out with a bad day that turns into a bad week, a bad month and eventually results in skipping out on work, school or social occasions. This is a type of depression called dysthymia, a low-level illness that silently works to diminish your relationships and work life (Mayo Clinic).  

7. Myth: Depressed people cry a lot.

This is not always the case. There are many faces of depression and one of them is blank—a blank face, a blank mind. They are emotionally blank and may feel hopeless, lost, and worthless. They may not enjoy the things they used to anymore and lose interest in everything. Even without dramatic symptoms, depression can take a major toll on someone’s life and those in it. 

Depression is a serious mental and physical condition and should not be taken lightly. For those who are suffering, I promise there is hope, even if you can’t see it. Have faith that things will get better, seek help and support and remember you are not alone. HCXO!

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO