5 Minors You Didn’t Know UWL Had

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

It’s the first week of classes and the professor (as usual) asks everyone to provide their major/minors and an interesting fact about themselves (Nothing, okay. The answer is nothing.).

Have you ever come across anyone with a minor or major emphasis that makes you stop in your tracks like, what? We have that? We don’t have a mermaid class at UW-La Crosse (unfortunately), nor do we have a Netflix minor, but there are a few hidden, so it seems, interesting minors that you may not know UWL had.

1. Graphic Design.

You may not know about this minor, because when you think of graphic design these days marketing is probably the first thing that comes to mind. However, at UWL this minor is hidden under the Art’s program. Keep a look out for programs in other colleges. You might be surprised at what you find, and it may just spark your interest.

2. Gerontology.

Not only may you not have known UWL offered this Liberal Studies emphasis, you may not even know what it is or have heard of it before. At first glance it sounds like something medical and not so much fun to study. Interestingly enough, Gerontology is the study of social, psychological, cognitive and biological aspects of aging. More interesting than you though, huh?

3. TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages).

Are you the type of person who would love to work overseas—perhaps in a third world country where you teach others English and the teach you, or remind you of, the important things in life. TESOL gives you that opportunity!

4. Health Information Systems Management.

If you’re interested in healthcare, but not necessarily interested in sticking needles in people and 8 years of schooling, this could be the minor for you. You get the perks of working in a hospital without the downfalls of, well, you know.

5. Metal.

I know what you’re thinking: metal? You’ve heard of the performing arts—music, dance, theatre—and other fine arts such as drawing and painting, but did you know working with metal is another form of art? Well it is, and there is an art emphasis for it. You can learn the art of Metalsmithing, Blacksmithing and Jewelry right here at UWL.

What do you think; are you re-evaluating your entire college career now?

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO