5 Easy Recipes for Your Leftover Apple Orchard Apples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

So, you had fun going crazy picking off all the apples you could find at the apple orchard. Now what? Eating them as-is is boring and doesn’t do justice to your adventure you had getting them. Continue the fun with these 5 super easy apple recipes; they are great for fall, study-break snacks!

Do you like apples? Do you like cinnamon? Do you like warm, cinnamon apple treats? Then, proceed…

1. Crockpot Applesauce

What you need: apples, sugar, brown sugar, water, and cinnamon

Peel and chop up your apples and place them in a crockpot. Add ½ a cup of sugar and brown sugar, a little water and some cinnamon to top it off! Let it sit for about 4 hours with the crockpot on high, then mash it up and enjoy your warm, oh-so-heavenly homemade applesauce!

2. Baked Apple Chips

What you need: apples, cinnamon, and sugar

Slice your apples thin. Spread them into 1 layer onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle the apple slices with cinnamon and/or sugar if you wish (it’s recommended). Bake at 200 degrees for 2 ½ to 3 hours, depending on your crunchy preference. Flip the apples once in between. Turn the oven off, but let them cool in the oven so they don’t crunch up as fast.

3. Apple Bites

What you need: apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, chopped walnuts or pecans (optional), and Pillsbury Original crescent rolls

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Unwrap crescent roll and separate the triangles. Combine 1/3 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in small bowl. Spread melted butter onto each triangle. Sprinkle the triangles with a lot of the sugar-cinnamon mixture (along with the chopped nuts if you wish). Cut your apples into 8 equal slices. Place a slice on the wide end of each triangle and roll. Arrange the rolls on the cookie sheet. Spread the remanding butter on each roll and sprinkle with any additional sugar-cinnamon mix. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.

4. Cinnamon Apple Dunkers

What you need: Apples, cream cheese frosting, vanilla, and cinnamon

Simply mix 1 cup of cream cheese frosting, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon. Chill if you wish, and it’s ready for apple dipping!

5. Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips

What you need…

For Cinnamon Chips: 10” flour tortillas, cooking spray, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon

For Fruit Salsa: 2 apples, 1 lemon, 2 kiwis, 1lb strawberries, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 3 tablespoons of raspberry preserves

To make the cinnamon chips, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine cinnamon and sugar. Spray both sides of your tortillas with cooking spray and sprinkle each side lightly with cinnamon sugar. Cut tortillas into 12 wedges. Place on baking sheet and bake for 8-11 minutes or until crisp.

To make the fruit salsa, zest the lemon and set aside. Peel and finely chop apples. Squeeze 2 teaspoons of lemon juice over apples and mix well to combine. Finely chop strawberries and kiwis. Gently combine all ingredients, including the raspberries and brown sugar. Let this sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. 

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO