25 Bucket-List Items to do Before Graduating from UW-La Crosse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

1. Hike the Bluffs

First of all, it would take a whole lot of willpower to go your entire duration as a student at UW-La Crosse and not once hike the bluffs. After all, it is one of the main scenic factors that drew many of you to attend school in this beautiful city. But we aren’t talking about a walk up Grandad’s winding road or driving up to the parking area just to walk the short distance to the paved lookout point. Yes, I’ll admit Grandad Bluff does pose a beautiful view of the city that needs to be experienced at some point and it allows you to see three states at one time. However, that is not considered hiking. Take a walk or drive to the Hixon Forest Park and climb through the Hixon trails and rocks to reach the top where you can look out over the beautiful city you call home. Not only will get you get an awesome workout out in, but you’ll be thankful for some relaxing time outside to make you step back and appreciate this scenic area you call home.

2. Hike the Bluffs at Night

Going for a nature hike through Hixon Forest at night brings a whole new element to the whole La Crosse hiking experience. Just be sure to travel in a group and bring adequate amounts of lighting (flashlights, headlamp, etc.). It may be a little scary at times but the breathtaking view of the city in lights will make you thankful you made the trek through the darkness.

3. Grab some ice cream from The Pearl and take a stroll through Riverside Park

When you crave ice cream in La Crosse, one place seems to always come to mind…The Pearl Ice Cream Parlor & Coffee House. This 1930’s Soda Fountain, Ice Cream Parlor, and Confectionery has delicious homemade ice cream, sundaes, malts and shakes, sodas, phosphates, waffle cones, truffles, chocolate specialties, candies, and fudge. This authentic experience allows you to savor a little bit of history white enjoying homemade treats that are sure to put a smile on your face! Like them on Facebook to receive news, specials, and promotions www.facebook.com/ThePearlIceCreamParlorConfectionary.

4. Experience the true meaning of Oktoberfest

The true meaning of Oktoberfest doesn’t entail consuming large amounts of alcohol and raging with your friends, old and new. It’s understandable that many college students seem to stay confined in their bubble surrounding campus. But it’s time to burst that bubble and gain knowledge of the events that take place, the valuable time, and all of the hard work that goes into making the Oktoberfest in La Crosse celebration a success! Just stop for a moment and ask yourself, how long have you lived in La Crosse while going to school? Do you really know the origin of Oktoberfest in La Crosse or the events that take place aside from drinking copious amounts of beer.

Oktoberfest, USA in La Crosse began in 1961 and is one of the few authentic Old World folk festivals held annually in the United States. Oktoberfest in La Crosse was established with five primary objectives in mind: to promote local pride in La Crosse, to obtain national publicity for La Crosse, to promote “tourism” to La Crosse and the Coulee Region, to involve a large number of people, and to break even financially while remaining a non-profit organization. You can learn more about Oktoberfest in La Crosse, the current and past Royal Families, sponsors and clubs, and schedule of events at www.oktoberfestusa.com!

5. Take a picture with the World’s Largest Six-Pack and King Gambrinus

Did you know that the World’s Largest Six-Pack can be found right here in La Crosse? If you voyage past the bars a little further down 3rd Street you will find the giant cans decorated with La Crosse Lager labels painted upon them. Originally, the six large storage tanks were painted to resemble cans of Heileman’s Old Style Lager beer (which is when it was proclaimed as the “World’s Largest Six Pack). When the brewery was sold and shut down they were painted white. In 2003, the new owners realized just how astonishing this giant six pack truly was and painted them to advertise the La Crosse Lager.

Across from the World’s Largest Six-Pack you can find a big and bright statue of Gambrinus, the “King of Beer,” with a goblet of suds clutched in his right hand and one foot propped up on a keg. Gambrinus was said to be a soldier of the 15th century who is credited with inventing beer. Fun fact- if you happen to encounter the current Festmaster during Oktoberfest he will most likely have a small statue version of King Gambrinus otherwise known as “Gambi” in his hand or near him.

6. Go on a Brewery Tour of Pearl Street Brewery

The Pearl Street Brewery began in 1999 and has been creating award-winning beers ever since! Pearl Street beer can be found on tap in many restaurants in the area and is sold at retailers across the state and in Minnesota. You can stop by the Tasting Room and enjoy hand-crafted brews from the brewmaster and his crew every Tuesday-Thursday from 4-8, Fridays from 4-10, or Saturdays from Noon-5. The quaint feeling of the wood counters and bar stools made from the same 100-year-old wood as the floors only add to the historic atmosphere and welcoming presence the brewery emanates. The Pearl Street Brewery is open for tours every Saturday from Noon until 5. Check out their website linked below for more information!

www.pearlstreetbrewery.com

7. Enjoy an afternoon of wine tasting at a local vineyard

The La Crosse area has six nearby vineyards that contain breathtaking scenic views and large varieties of wine by the glass or bottle for you to enjoy.

1.      Branches Winery: Located in Westby, this charming boutique winery produces wine from estate-grown grapes. The Branches Winery features a selection of appetizers including local cheeses and wood-fired pizzas. It also has an outdoor patio, deck, and elegant banquet hall that holds up to 60 persons. http://brancheswinery.com

2.      Elmaro Vineyard: Elmaro Vineyard’s focus is producing great wines with a breathtaking setting. This family owned vineyard works hard to ensure you have the best experience possible. Elmaro Vineyard is located in Trempealeau. Visit their website to find out more at www.elmarovineyard.com.

3.      River View Vineyard & Winery: Nestled in the scenic bluffs above the Mississippi River Valley in La Crescent, Minnesota is where you’ll find River View Vineyard & Winery. It started in 2003 with cold hardy grapes developed by Elmore Swenson and the University of Minnesota. Check out www.riverviewwinery.com for more information on tours and tastings!

4.      Seven Hawks Vineyards: The Fountain City on Wisconsin’s Great River Road is where Seven Hawks Vineyards is located. They are affiliated with Hawks View Cottages and Lodges and a member of the La Crosse Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. More information can be found at www.sevenhawksvineyards.com.

5.      Vernon Vineyards: Located in Viroqua, the Vernon Vineyards are 100% locally grown and produce over 65 tons of cold-climate grapes each year. Tours can be arranged upon contact at www.vernonvineyards.com.

6.      Tenba Ridge Winery: Alsatian-style wines are produced at the Tenba Ridge Winery in small batches. The flavorful wines are fabulous with a snack or by themselves. The Tenba Ridge Winery is located in Blair, Wisconsin and overlooks thousands of wooded acres for you and friends to enjoy! www.tenbaridgewinery.net

8. Enjoy Dinner and a boat ride on the La Crosse Queen

The La Crosse Queen is a modern-day replica of the grand river boats that traveled up and down the Mississippi River in the late 19th Century. The prestige La Crosse Queen is one of the few authentic paddlewheel river boats still in operation today in the U.S. The Queen has a split sternwheel and each is run by a twin diesel engine powered by hydraulic motors that then turn the paddles. The La Crosse Queen hosts a variety of cruises including: River Boat Sightseeing Cruises, Captain’s Sunday Brunch Cruise, Friday and Saturday Dinner Cruises, Three Hour Paddlewheel Cruises, Pizza Cruises, Moonlight Cruises, and Private Party Charters. Check out www.lacrossequeen.com for more information or to make reservations.

9. Bike the Elroy-Sparta Trail

The Elroy-Sparta Trail was the first Rails to Trails Project in America and remains one of the most popular ones in the country to this day. It contains three rock tunnels and winds through five small towns along it’s 32.5 mile route. The railroad tunnels are three centuries old and are a key highlight of the trail. The natural springs above the tunnels tend to trickle into the trail creating a dark and cool atmosphere, even on the brightest of days. Bikers are urged to please walk their bikes through the tunnels on the limestone screened paths for safety precautions. You can find downloadable maps for the different trails and more information about trail opening at their website linked below!

www.elroy-sparta-trail.com

10. Walk through the Rotary Lights in Riverside Park

Over 3,000,000 stunning lights are featured in an expansive display for the individuals of all ages to enjoy! The Rotary Lights located in Riverside Park in Downtown La Crosse are a free event that begins after Thanksgiving every year and has a ton of events for you and the family to enjoy including: the annual Rotary Lights Parade, Live music entertainment, Hay Rides, Carriage Rides, live reindeer, breakfast with Santa, and the 5k Ugly Sweater Run. Although the lights are free, they do ask that you provide a food or monetary donation for the local food pantries in an effort to help feed the poor and hungry in the Coulee Region. You can find a full list of events at, a virtual tour, media gallery, news, sponsors and more about information about the Rotary Lights at www.rotarylights.org.

11. Rent Tubes and/or Sleds from the Rec and Go Sledding

The UW-La Crosse Recreational Center’s Outdoor Connection Equipment Rental Service has everything you may need to enjoy outdoor adventures large and small. They are open in correspondence to the Rec Hours and can be contacted by phone at (608) 785-8860. The Outdoor Connection has cross country skis, snowshoes, airboards, sleds, toboggans, and ice skates available for a discounted price for UW-L students to utilize at any time. Be sure to check out their website at www.uwlax.edu/RecSports/Rent-Gear/ to reserve gear online, call them or stop in to find out more about rentals, skills training, trips and clinics, and seminars.

12. Ski or Snowboard at Mt. La Crosse

Mt. La Crosse offers the widest variety of skiing and snowboarding terrain in the Midwest. They have been in operation since 1959 and have everything from gentle Mileaway, Wisconsin’s longest run to Damnation!, Mid-America’s steepest trail. Whether you are a seasoned pro or have never been on the slopes before, there’s no better time than the present to enjoy some Wisconsin winter fun! Not to mention they offer private lessons for individuals of all ages. Mt. La Crosse also has a wonderful ski and board shop where you can find all your skiing and snowboarding needs including: base layers, socks, helmets and poles, foot beds, gloves, hats, waxing, racing accessories, sweaters, and so much more! You can read more about the history of Mt. La Crosse, lift tickets and rentals, season passes, and lessons at www.mtlacrosse.com.

13. Tour the Hixon House

The historic Hixon House is located at 429 7th Street North in La Crosse. It was built in 1859 by Gideon Hixon, a prominent lumbar baron at the time. The Italianate house features beautiful woodwork and contains nearly 90% of its original furnishings. Needless to say it is sure to capture your attention. The Hixon House is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day, Tuesday- Saturday 10-2. However, group tours are available year round for groups of ten people more. Feel free to check out www.lchshistory.org/hixon-house/ for more information or call the LCHS Offices at (608) 782-1980 to plan your visit.

14. Attend a Coulee Region Chill NAHL Hockey Game

The Coulee Region Chill is a part of the North American Hockey League. The Chill began in 2009 and allows young men, ages 16 to 21 the opportunity to further their hockey skills in hopes of playing at the next level. The home games are played at Green Island Ice Arena, located at 2312 7th Street near Gundersen Lutheran on the south side of La Crosse. Tickets are available online in advance for $5.00 for students or at the door for $6.00 (Normal adult pricing is $9.00 and $10.00). The Coulee Region Chill also offer a birthday package for only $75 that includes: 10 student tickets, 12 chuck-a-pucks, one autographed t-shirt, a birthday cake, reserved seating, a PA announcement, and a visit from their mascot, Shiver. Who knows, you may be watching a future NHL star! Check out more about the Chill at www.crchill.com.  

15. Go Ice Skating Outside (Copeland Park or Poage Park)  

It doesn’t matter if you have ice skated for years and can spin circles or if you have never put a pair of ice skates on once in your life. Copeland Park was started by Frederick Allen Copeland donating land in June of 1909. At the time, Frederick was the owner of the La Crosse Lumber Company and the Mayor of La Crosse. Poage Park is located on 500 Hood Street on the South side of La Crosse and was also opened in 1909.

16. Spend an evening painting at All Glazed Up! in Downtown La Crosse

All Glazed Up! provides a fun and creative environment that helps people of all ages relax while making uniquely beautiful artwork. They offer paint your own pottery priced from $6-$50, jewelry and infused glass, and canvas painting. All Glazed Up! has a team of well trained staff that are able to help guide you through your artwork as little or much as you please. They are open Monday-Thursday 10:00 AM-8:00 PM, Friday and Saturday 10:00 AM-9:00 PM, and Sundays 11:00 AM-5:00 PM. Read more at www.allglazedup.com or feel free to email them with questions at info@allglazedup.com!

17. Attend the “Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine, & Cheese Festival”

Every spring you have the opportunity to taste over 200 quality brews that are poured by notable breweries and sip over 45 types of wine from local and world-famous vineyards. Not to mention there are endless amounts of gourmet cheese for you to sample and/or purchase! The Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine, & Cheese Festival features live music and all persons in attendance receive a souvenir glass. General admission tickets include a souvenir sampling glass, samples of beer, wine, and cheese, live music, and Tasters Eve events the Friday before the event. Tickets information can be found at www.betweenthebluffsbeerfest.com

18. Rent a Paddle Board, Kayak, or Canoe from the Rec for the Day

As stated before in regards to winter gear, the UW-La Crosse Recreational Center’s Outdoor Connection Equipment Rental Service has everything you may need to enjoy outdoor adventures large and small. They are open in correspondence to the Rec Hours and can be contacted by phone at (608) 785-8860. The Outdoor Connection has SUP paddle boards, canoes, kayaks, cruiser bikes, mountain bikes, rollerblades, and camping gear available for a discounted price for UW-L students to utilize at any time. Be sure to check out their website at www.uwlax.edu/RecSports/Rent-Gear/ to reserve gear online, call them or stop in to find out more about rentals, skills training, trips and clinics, and seminars.

19. Take a walk, bike ride, or run through Myrick Marsh

Myrick Park is located off of La Crosse Street and was opened between 1873 and 1880. It is well known for its playgrounds, shelters, tennis courts, and trails that lead into Myrick Marsh and Myrick Hixon Ecopark. “The best birding in La Crosse is found in this group of city parks that collectively offer more than 800 acres. Hiking trails access bluffs, wetlands, woodlands and native prairies. You can even observe wildlife from floating observation platforms in the marsh. The Myrick Hixon Ecopark is an area hub for maps, educational displays, and naturalist programs. The five mile long River to Bluff Trail runs from the bluffs of Hixon Forest to Riverside Park on the Mississippi River. The trail cuts through the La Crosse River Marsh. It’s a great way to see this secluded area.” While hiking through Myrick Marsh be sure to watch for Great Egrets, Green backed Herons, a wide variety of waterfowl, Common Moorhens, terns, rails and wrens.

20. Go to a La Crosse Loggers Baseball Game

The La Crosse Loggers are a part of The Northwoods League; which is a training ground for what the young players hope and dream of. The teams within the league are made up college players from various parts of the country. During their time in the league, they are essentially preparing themselves for the professional ranks. The season begins in May and goes until the end of August. Single game tickets can be purchased online or at the gate. The Loggers also offer family fun packages, season ticket packages, “Birthdays at the Ballpark,” group outing ticket packages and tickets for the Dublin Square Sports Deck. More information regarding the team, statistics, schedule, and tickets can be found at www.northwoodsleague.com/la-crosse-loggers. Mark your calendars; the first home game of the season is Thursday, May 28 against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters @ 7:05 PM at Copeland Park!

21. Relax at Pettibone Beach and soak up some sun

Pettibone Beach is located off of Highway 14, 16, 61, and Park Plaza in La Crosse. The park was first opened in 1901 and is well-known for the beach and scenic view across the Mississippi River of downtown La Crosse. Amenities include: swimming, beach volleyball courts, fishing, trails, disc golf, and a shelter house containing showers and restrooms. As soon as the temperatures rise above seventy-degrees in the late spring, there is no “hotter” place to be than Pettibone Beach! Pack up your beach towels and sunblock and venture over to the beach to catch some rays and relax with friends. 

22. Celebrate America’s Birthday and La Crosse Riverfest

La Crosse Riverfest is a five day family festival that takes place in Riverside Park over the 4th of July week. Come out and enjoy live music, entertainment, crafts, and family fun each and every day! One main attraction in relation to Riverfest is the “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes,” Men’s March against Domestic Violence. This event is an effort to bring awareness of sexual assault and violence in our community. Proceeds from the Walk a Mile event are shared by YWCA of the Coulee Region and Carilee Fund of Gundersen Lutheran Medical Foundation. More information about Riverfest can be found at www.riverfestlacrosse.com!

23. Attend Irishfest

Do you have a little Irish heritage in your blood? Irish Fest in La Crosse features Irish and Celtic music from all over Ireland, Scotland, and the U.S. The event takes place in March every year at the Oktoberfest Grounds. More information can be found at www.irishfestlacrosse.org/

24. Get Involved and Give Back to the La Crosse Community

When I say “get involved,” that doesn’t simply mean participating in a club or activity on campus at UW-La Crosse. Yeah, joining a club you are passionate about or partaking in something going on campus is great and all…not to mention it’s a fabulous addition to your resume; but there is so much more for you to explore in this beautiful city beyond the bubble of campus. Potential volunteer opportunities may include: helping at The American Red Cross, spending time at The Children’s Museum, or playing with animals The Coulee Region Humane Society. There are so many organizations and businesses that may fit your interests and could use your help, the possibilities are truly endless! Just check out www.cityoflacrosse.org for volunteer opportunities in the La Crosse community!

25. Watch the Sunrise and Sunset on the bluffs

Embrace the gorgeous landscape of La Crosse by watching the sun illuminate the city at sunrise and sunset. Yes, this inevitably entails you climbing up the bluffs extremely early before it seems as though anyone else is awake in the city and venturing down the bluffs in the dark in the evening; but trust me, this is a view you do not want to miss! Grab some friends and find a time you can take this hike together and don’t forget your camera. If you don’t want to hike you can always drive up Grandad’s Bluff or to the Rim of the City to experience the sunrise or sunset.

It is evident that the city of La Crosse and the surrounding community has a lot to offer its’ residents. After all, I would not doubt that the natural beauties this area contains were one of the main motivating factors in your decision to attend the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse…they definitely captured my heart! As a student at UW-L, it is easy to get wrapped up in the friends you meet at the university and the “bubble” that campus seems to contain residents in. However, La Crosse has so much more to offer its residents than what is evident on campus, in surrounding student housing, and in the vicinity of 3rd street’s weekend stops. I challenge you to take a broader view of your time at the university and in the city of La Crosse and break free from your comfort zone. There is no better time than the present to embrace the beautiful community you now call home, the people that inhabit the city, the new adventures that await you, and the lifelong memories you will cherish long after your graduation from UW-La Crosse.