10 Things Freshman Should Know Before They go to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

It’s ok to be a little nervous and outside of your comfort zone as you step into the next four years of your life. You only have to know what you want to be, find a sustainable job you love, and put a dent in your student loans. Did I forget to mention you have to do it within four years? For those of you going the extra mile, we all feel for you. In all seriousness, if you look around you everyone here is either in your shoes or has been in your shoes. I’m sure your mom and dad probably talked your ear off the last week at home about their glory days in college, but no matter how many people say it, nothing can fully prepare you for what is about to happen. Here are some things that not even your parents can prepare you for and some advice on how to overcome:

1. First off, the food sucks. If you’re ok eating pizza, breadsticks, sandwiches, and pasta everyday you’ll do just fine. Don’t take for granted the nice home cooked meals you used to get every night or even McDonalds, cause considering you’re now broke you won’t be able to afford it. If you’re trying to watch the freshman fifteen I suggest eating salad and yogurt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  2. The freshman fifteen can turn into the freshman thirty really quick. Just because with the Eagle package you get two Mandos and Chares swipes, with unlimited Whitney access doesn’t mean you should use them in one day. Since you are on your own try to eat something healthy, and just so you know pizza is not a vegetable.
  3. Know that the days of waking up early to curl your hair and staying up late to pick out an outfit are over. Sweatpants are your friend. In college you don’t need to impress because almost everyone around you could care less. Forget about bringing your whole closet either because it’s never going to fit, I suggest packing seasonal and take it from there.
  4. Sororities and Frats are real my friends. Unfortunately, they are nothing like the movies and will only aim to disappoint. The only advice I can give you is that they look great on college resume’s, you meet a ton of people, and you get to serve the community a lot.
  5. You’re not in high school anymore so don’t be a b****. Try to be welcoming and meet some new people. I promise if you put yourself out there you’ll make friends in no time.
  6. You’re new to the whole adulting thing. It’s ok to call your parents and ask for help. I promise no one will laugh at you for not knowing how to do laundry or write a check.  Just take a deep breath and know your parents will always just be a phone call away.
  7. Kiss sleeping goodbye. The last time I had a solid amount of sleep was three weeks ago. Coffee is about to be your new best friend. Between D2L, the weekends, and working you no longer have time for 9 hour nights. Plus you have a roommate who may keep you up at night either tossing and turning, snoring, or mumbling. Just pray you get lucky and you’re either best friends or they live incredibly close so you never have to see them.  

8. Fall in love with your professors. Not literately, but fall in love with their style of teaching. They are about to be your best buddy for about four months. Professors are not as scary as your high school teachers played them out to be. Get to know them and don’t forget to utilize your tutors and office hours, they are the fastest way to an A.

9. The aching in your chest you feel from being away from your dog will not go away. It’s normal to miss your pets over your family members. Remember that they will not forget about you. The joy you will feel when you see them at Thanksgiving and Winter break will wipe away all doubt that they forgot you existed.  

10. Lastly, you are not alone.

Just as Michael Jackson once said:

Hi my name is Madi! I am a freshman at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse as a Communications major. I love to sing, dance, play tennis, workout, cuddle my dog, and hang with my floor mates. I am a traveler and hope to visit all of Europe before I die.