10 Coffee Shops to Try in La Crosse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

One of my favorite things about La Crosse and one of the many reasons why I’m blessed to be going to school here is the variety of coffee shops to check out down town! There are so many to choose from that sometimes you just can’t choose! I have always loved the quote, “Go to a coffee shop. Sit by the bar with the glass windows and look out. Look at all the people trying to catch a train. All the girls with one too many shopping bags. All the couples too in love to care. Then you’ll see it – a bit of yourself in everyone. And somehow, sitting alone in a coffee shop had never felt so good.” Although there aren’t too many people trying to catch a train around here, I still love this quote nonetheless. I am a sucker for a great coffee shop and with that being said, here are some of my favorite coffeee shops that you NEED to check out now in La Crosse! 

1. Grounded Coffee Shop

I think they have some of the best coffee in La Crosse!

2. Root Note

A good place if you need some live entertainment! There always seems to be some kind of live music here every night. It also has a pretty chill vibe. Highly recommend it! 

3. Cabin Coffee

This place has a good selection of sandwiches as well as coffee, with a very Wisconsin-country vibe to it. 

4. The Pearl Coffee House

Something that might be unknown to you is that not only does this place have an ice cream and candy shop, but it also has a coffee shop with plenty of space to wipe out some homework. 

5. Jules Coffee Shop

One thing I love about this coffee shop is that it’s connected to the coolest book store in town! 

6. Cool Beans

This new and upcoming coffee shop near campus is one that you NEED to check out now! The staff is very nice and the location is great for college students at UW-L. I would highly recommend trying their tea. 

7. Global Grounds

If you’re wondering what in the world happened to McCaffery’s in La Crosse, Global Grounds is there now! It did not disappoint! I love the painting of the world on the wall. I guess you’ll just have to check it out for yourself! 

8. Java Vino

This place may not be in the location of all the other coffee shops listed above, but it is one that you definitely have to check out! I love this place because it doubles as a nice restaurant to eat a meal anytime of the day, but you can also just come in and grab some coffee! It has become a go-to spot for me to do some homework but also to grab some dinner!

9. Moka

I think Moka has a very starbucks-esk feel if you are not in the mood to go to Onalaska for the starbucks. It’s in a very nice location and very close to campus! 

10. Bean Juice

I have yet to go here but I’ve heard nothing but amazing reviews!

Sarah Mueller is a senior majoring in Organizational and Professional Communication and minoring in Professional Writing. She loves to write, run, and do yoga in her free time. Follow her on instagram: sarah_muelller