10 Characteristics of Millennials as Told By Gossip Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UW Lax chapter.

Us Millennials have been called lazy, selfish, narcissistic and unreliable (ouch!). In other words, we have a bad rep. I don’t know about you, but I get pretty upset when I hear those things. Actually…I get so mad that my face turns into hot lava and I want to fight someone. They just don’t understand! We simply have a different take on life and represent new ways of living. We aren’t lazy, selfish, narcissistic or unreliable (well, not usually). We are laid back, value our free time, value our happiness and won’t waste your time doing something that doesn’t make us unhappy. Because if we’re unhappy, you’re unhappy. Trust me.

If anyone understands us, it’s Gossip Girl. Here are 10 characteristics of Generation Y as told by our favorite upper-east side TV series.

1. We stray from the beaten path. We are the traveler generation, and we seek adventure. Our goal after college is to travel the world before settling down. 

2. And we won’t settle until we are happy. We will go through many jobs in order to find the best fit. This is a good thing, I swear.

3. Equality is our middle name. We are open-minded and strive for fairness.

4. We can’t live without our cellphones. Seriously. But we are extremely tech-savvy.

5. We are very connected. Whether it’s Gossip Girl herself or Facebook or Twitter, we are very connected to everyone and we like to be social.

6. We believe in matching our work with our passions. We work to live, but we work hard and play harder.

7. We’re team players. We like to collaborate, ask for help and solve problems together. 

8. We’re confident. We are ready to take on big roles and responsibility. Plus, we are great multitaskers.

9. We’re family-oriented. We prefer flexibility and a more rounded work/life balance, seeking the best blend for an enjoyable life.

10. We require constant love, but who doesn’t?

We Millennials are given a hard time, but just remember, we have all the right intentions. Just you wait, we are going to do great things!

Kasey is a UW-La Crosse collegiate, aspiring writer, and Campus Correspondent of the HC UW-Lax team. You can follow her on Pinterest @kaseyluo, Instagram @kaseylovergaard, and Twitter @kaseyLuO