This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

I’m someone who doesn’t really care much for a routine- maybe it’s the Sagittarius in me.  I go with the flow; I’m comfortable with what I’m familiar with and like to do. I haven’t really considered the thought of trying to pick up a new hobby.  This November, I’m making it a goal of mine to try something new — perhaps out of my comfort zone.  Here are 3 new hobby ideas I’ve started considering:

Scrapbooking

To the people out there who have scrapbooked before, I commend you.  The concept of filling a blank book with pictures, quotes and stickers, and making it look aesthetically and visually pleasing is intimidating to me.  Sticking with a hobby for an extended period of time is admittedly something I’ve struggled with in the past, and the thought of a half-empty scrapbook makes me feel some type of way.  If I decide to try this out, I would have to dedicate myself to taking and printing pictures, designing each page with thought and care, and staying consistent with it.  I love this idea and I wish I had enough confidence and motivation to know that I can finish a scrapbook successfully — so maybe this is exactly what I need to do in order to prove myself wrong.

Reading For Pleasure 

For someone who loves to write and enjoys the world of journalism and media, the thought of reading a book for leisure and not for school hasn’t appealed to me — until recently.  I have a few friends who genuinely enjoy reading and have recommended some great books, but something is keeping me away from making the purchase and dedicating the time.  Maybe it’s what I mentioned above, that I’ll start it only to end up staring at a half-finished book on my nightstand.  Or maybe it’s because I’d rather be listening to a podcast (check out my favorite podcasts here). Maybe I’ll meet myself in the middle and start off with an audiobook, or perhaps I’ll make my roommates read aloud to me. Baby steps.

Working Out

Like I said, I’m someone who doesn’t care much for a routine.  Unfortunately, if you want to start working out like you mean it, a routine is the only way to see results.  I workout every now and then — I’ll do my squats, crunches, yoga, and sometimes I’ll bike along the bike path, but I never workout rigorously or on a regulated schedule, and the gym does not appeal to me.  This has seemed to work just fine for me for years, but as I start to get older and enter the workforce, it’s important to start creating healthy habits now rather than later.  The best way to go about this (if you’re someone like me) is through YouTube.  There are so many fitness gurus who post 30-day challenges, 2-week shreds, 10-minute cardio videos, and everything else to make your home into a gym.  I’ve done a few Chloe Ting workouts and I really enjoy her videos and rigor, but if you’re more into pilates and yoga, I recommend Blogilates.

I think the best advice I’ve heard about starting a new hobby is to visualize the end result– a scrapbook full of memories, a finished book to talk about, and a healthy body and mindset all sound really good to me.  On November 1st, I will hold myself to something and make myself proud, ending this terrible year with 2-months of consistency and growth under my belt.  I’ll check back in and write about my progress with one of these hobbies before the end of the year!

What’s something new you wanna try out?

Xoxo, 

Cati

Edited by Julia Kaplansky 

Hey, I'm Cati (cah-tee, not Katie)! I'm entering my senior year at the University of Vermont studying Public Communications with a concentration in Community Media and Journalism. I've always enjoyed writing, especially when it's about topics relevant to a college-aged demographic. I love giving advice, finding new music, and practicing wellness within mind and body. When I have a moment to relax, I'm usually cuddling with my kitten, Maui, reading my horoscope (I'm a Sagittarius), meditating, or taking a bath- of course, with a favorite Lush Bath Bomb. Over the years I've found a few passions that I can't wait to share with you!
I am a senior Public Communication student at the University of Vermont. I am passionate about public relations and brand communications within the fashion and lifestyle industry.