5 Reasons Everybody Should Be Watching Queer Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

I’ve spent countless afternoons browsing the depths of Netflix, and much to my dismay, I rarely find something that holds my interest for more than five minutes… that is, until, I discovered Queer Eye, a reboot of the original series which debuted in 2003.  Though it is fifteen years later, the premise of the show remains constant: five gay men, known as the Fab Five, provide a “make-better” to a straight man in five facets of life. Bobby Berk shares his expertise in design, Karamo Brown in culture and lifestyle, Tan France in fashion, Antoni Porowski in food and wine, and Jonathan Van Ness in grooming.  It seems like everyone and their mother is watching this show (and for good reason!), but if you’ve yet to start, here are the top five reasons Queer Eye should be the next show on your binge list.

1. It’s hilarious.

I laugh audibly multiple times whenever I watch this show– seriously, ask my roommate!  I am always looking for a good laugh, and Queer Eye certainly delivers. The vibes are so positive and heart-warming that it’s hard not to smile when watching it.

2. It incorporates diversity.

Two members of the Fab Five, Karamo Brown and Tan France, are people of color.  Brown was born in Texas to Jamaican parents, and France was born in England to Pakistani parents.  Several of the straight men highlighted on Queer Eye are also people of color. It is ultra-refreshing to watch a show that not only focuses deeply on an undermined sexuality, but also integrates diversity within its cast.

3. It encourages confidence.

One of the many things that made me want to keep watching Queer Eye is the confidence that emanates through the screen every time I watch it.  Between Jonathan screaming, “Yas queen!” and the affirmative energy floating about, you’re sure to feel on top of the world each time you catch an episode– even if you’re laying in bed, devouring a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.

4. It promotes open-mindedness.

The first season of Queer Eye takes place mostly in rural Georgia, an area that doesn’t necessarily have the most accepting attitude towards gay people.  In contrast to the original series, which took place in New York City, I believe that the new Queer Eye promotes a sense of open-mindedness in both the gay and straight communities, by creating dialogue on tough subjects.  More importantly, this dialogue happens among groups that may never interact otherwise.

5. It puts me in all my feels.

Growing up with a gay brother and other gay family members, I can empathize with the feelings of inadequacy that are often discussed on the show.  I don’t cry too often, but Queer Eye gets my waterworks flowing like nothing else… even my dad cried! Queer Eye reminds its audience that we are all a work in progress.  For me, watching people learn to accept themselves for all that they are, finding their purpose, and ultimately, living their truth, is so rewarding and beautiful.

So, waste no more time… the Fab Five is waiting for you!

Jenna Toth is a second year student at the University of Vermont, majoring in public communication. Jenna is no stranger to the world of writing-- her grandfather, Owen Canfield, is a former sports writer for the Hartford Courant in Connecticut. She considers him one of her biggest inspirations when it comes to writing. During her downtime, Jenna enjoys long walks to the fridge, playing songs on her ukulele, and cuddling with her black lab, Oliver. If you'd like to read more of Jenna's personal work or learn more about her, check out her social media: Twitter: https://twitter.com/jennalouisetoth Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jennatoth/ Tumblr: https://jennalouisetoth.tumblr.com/