Colorado travel hiking mountains trees nature backpack trail high
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

5 Best Fall Hikes Close to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

Just like that, Fall 2019 is already flying by—if you haven’t had the luxury of time to venture off to Stowe or Southern Vermont, then tune in. When you need a little escape from campus, there are great hikes at our fingertips as UVM students. Although, if you’re like me, then you need some trails that are close to class, but also not too physically draining after a long weekend. 

Here are 5 great hikes that check all the boxes:

Mt. Philo, Charlotte VT

You have probably heard about Mt. Philo, as it is well known, but it deserves a spot on this list. It’s only a twenty-minute drive from UVM and provides breathtaking views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. 

Niquette Bay, Colchester 

If you’re not looking for a full-on hike, Niquette Bay offers more of a trail feel since the incline is gradual. Get on 89 North and take Exit 17 towards the Champlain Islands, and just like that, you are there in 20 minutes! This is a great hike with beach access as well- although you won’t be jumping in this time of year, it’s still nice to check out.

Eagle Mountain, Milton VT

This trail is about a mile and a half long and it is only a 30 minute drive. With light foot traffic, Eagle Mountain provides a relaxing and quiet hike. While it is a little off the beaten path, the dirt road offers rolling hills and classic Vermont country views. After arriving, as you ascend you will reach “Hoyt Lookout” and you will get views looking over the Champlain Islands.

Libby’s Look, West Bolton

Libby’s Look is a local favorite and is an easy hike only 30 minutes away! This fall was the first time I had gone, and I was blown away. As a result of the easy terrain on this path, I was shocked by the panoramic scene of surrounding mountains when I reached the lookout. Absolutely gorgeous views of the back of Camel’s Hump to the left, and in the distance Lake Champlain on the far right. On your way home, stop at Sweet Simone’s Bakery in Richmond for a yummy latte and treat!

Prospect Rock, Johnson 

If you have a little more time, another option is Prospect Rock—a hidden gem located in Johnson. This is an hour drive from UVM, but I couldn’t help but include this one as it is one of my favorites. Once you arrive, the path is on your right and, while this hike is generally short, it is steep but well worth the climb. The summit offers views of the Lamoille Valley and a great place to sit. Once you reach the bottom, don’t hop in your car right away! Feel free to explore the suspension bridge across the road that runs across the Lamoille River. 

Well, there it is, five great spots to get some exercise and take in the scenery. Vermont is about to switch up on us before we know it, so get outside and enjoy it now! 

XOXO for now,

Alex 

Hello! My name is Alex Rosenberger and I was the Campus Correspondent my senior year for the Her Campus Chapter at University of Vermont from January 2020- May 2020. At UVM I studied Public Communication and it's where I found my current passions which includes lifestyle writing, content creation, branding, and graphic design! Thanks for reading!