diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You’re Not Sleeping Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you find yourself exhausted the night after getting at least seven hours of sleep, you may not be making the most of your night’s rest. Many people are unknowingly making crucial mistakes that disrupt their sleep cycles and prohibit them from waking up feeling well rested. Read through the list below and see if you’ve been committing one of these six “sleeping sins.”

1)   Eating too soon before bed: Scientists suggest eating several hours before bed so that you do not suffer from indigestion while your body is trying to rest. You should have dinner three to four hours before you sleep, and if you do snack closer to bedtime, ensure that the foods are low-protein and high in carbs.

2)   Inconsistent bed times: Your body prefers a consistent sleep cycle. Changing the times that you go to bed and wake up can confuse your body and prevent you from consistently getting a good night’s sleep. Establish a routine and stick with it, even on weekends!

3)   Napping during the day: For obvious reasons, a three-hour nap during the day can leave you restless at bedtime. If you truly need some shut-eye in the afternoon, a 20-minute power nap will rejuvenate your body without disrupting your night’s sleep.

4)   Using your cell phone before bed: This tip is all over the Internet, but people fail to recognize it’s true value. “Unplug” at least a half hour before bed and I guarantee your mind will thank you come bedtime.

5)   Caffeine before bed: As a stimulant, coffee before bed can keep your mind wired and heart racing all night. Few people know that caffeine can stay in your system for up to twelve hours, so avoid drinking coffee or energy drinks anytime after lunch.

6)  Stress: We all know the feeling of being unable to sleep because too much is on our mind. When you’re stressed out, it’s difficult to take your thoughts off of your worries. So, give yourself ample relaxation time before bed to sort your thoughts and settle your anxieties.