What the Newest Obstacle to Women’s Healthcare Really Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

A couple months ago, millions of people were marching across the world for women’s rights. Whole cities were shut down as men, women and children turned out with everything from face-paint and pink hats to banners and signs in support of women. In the aftermath of a worldwide rally, it seemed the uphill battle was becoming a little easier to fight. But this victory couldn’t last forever. Last week, our Vice President cast the tie-breaking vote for a bill that would lead to the rapid defunding of Planned Parenthood and other abortion clinics. The wording of this bill zeroes in on one function Planned Parenthood performs – abortions – but it fails to acknowledge the array of other services offered by Planned Parenthood. By singling out Planned Parenthood as simply an “abortion provider,” the bill is misleading because it poses as a measure to divert federal funds from abortion practices. However, this cannot be the bill’s aim, since the Hyde Amendment, which was passed in 1976, already prevents federal funds from going towards abortion. There are only a few exceptions to the Hyde Amendment, in the case of rape or incest, or when the pregnancy threatens the woman’s life.

(NYC Women’s March by Devin Carroll)

So if this bill isn’t really going to divert federal funds from going towards abortion, what is it going to do? Well, so far nothing yet. The bill is still waiting on President Trump’s signature. After that, it is up to the states whether they want to withhold federal funding from Planned Parenthood and other clinics that perform abortions. However, if they do choose to withhold funding, it will affect millions of women (and many men) who depend on Planned Parenthood and other similar clinics for their healthcare. Planned Parenthood offers a variety of services that are crucial to maintaining positive reproductive health. The funds that would be withheld are Title X funds, which go towards things like cervical and breast cancer screenings, and testing and treatment for STI’s.

Planned Parenthood is a huge resource for all women, but statistically it is college aged-women who are relying most heavily on Planned Parenthood, with women aged 18 to 24 making up the largest percentage of their patients in 2016. Whether you’ve been to Planned Parenthood and benefitted from their services or not, the passing of this bill represents a huge blow to women’s healthcare. If accessibility to healthcare diminishes for one woman, it sets us all back. Losing ground on these issues is a slippery slope and it is one we should not still be slipping down in 2017. We need to support Planned Parenthood just as we support our younger sisters, who nervously prepare for their first gynecological visits, our aunts and mothers, whose results we pray for as they undergo cancer screenings, and our friends whose hands we hold as they take their first pregnancy tests. Planned Parenthood is there for all of these moments, and we should be too.  

(Photo courtesy of Planned Parenthood)

You may be wondering, what can you do to support Planned Parenthood? One of the easiest ways to show your support is to donate. With the loss of federal funding swinging from an overhanging worry to a swiftly approaching reality, it is more important than ever to continue  financially supporting this healthcare provider. Supporting Planned Parenthood is a move towards supporting all the women who rely on their services. If you marched for women’s rights back in January, it’s time to show that your activism goes beyond your words. We need to stand up and fight, not just hold a sign.

(Photo courtesy of Planned Parenthood)

(Thumbnail photo courtesy of Pinterest)

Third-year Media Studies and Art History student at U.Va!