This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

We’re almost halfway through the semester, and it can be hard to motivate yourself to put forth your best effort in school work and other extracurricular activities. The weeks can blur together and it can be difficult to wake up feeling refreshed and excited about your schedule. Here are some tips that have helped me fight burnout and maintain a resilient mindset as a college student who struggles just like everyone else and isn’t afraid to admit it.

Start tracking your habits in your google calendar so you can become more self aware about what activities help and harm your wellbeing.

This semester, I started putting all of my workouts in my google calendar, and it has really helped me be consistent planning everything out a week in advance. Scheduling spin and yoga classes helps me stay motivated to move my body. When I am in a slump, the last thing I want to do is exercise, but somehow it always makes me feel better. In addition to this, I have started blocking out naps and “burnout breaks” in my google calendar. I mark healthy naps in my “personal” label, and when I spend unnecessary time rotting in bed or doom scrolling on my phone because I feel too overwhelmed to function, I record that in my “mental health time” tab. That way, I can reflect on what led to feeling that way and try to balance out my schedule. Often, I am in need of downtime after I have pushed myself too hard for a number of days with school work or club activities.

Use a wellness app like “Breeze” to fill out daily mental wellness checks.

I use the app “Breeze” for mood tracking. The daily questionnaire asks you to report how you are feeling (i.e. happy or sad) and click on activities you did during your day. Overtime, the app aggregates what activities correlate to a better mood and helps you see how you are feeling overtime. We are so hardwired to tell others “I’m doing good!” all the time that it is useful to have a private space where you can reflect on each day.

If you are feeling too overwhelmed to wash your dishes, use a dishpan to collect dirty dishes and load your dishwasher when you feel up to it.

Some readers may find this to be disgusting, so again this advice is take it or leave it. However, as someone who seriously struggles at times with pulling myself together, this tip has seriously helped me worry less about cleanliness and also be a better roommate while struggling mentally. Having your dirty dishes all over the kitchen and in the sink can be inconsiderate to those you are living with, so having a designated “dirty dish bin” on the counter can be a game changer.

Get into a regular sleep schedule – yes, actually do this.

Fixing my sleep schedule has been the best self-improvement I have made this semester. I am someone who struggles with insomnia, so seeking out professional help to resolve my sleep problems was a huge relief, especially after months of judging myself so harshly for being tired all the time and not being able to sleep at night. Waking up at a regular time before classes in the morning can help you feel so much more put together and prepared for your day. Even having an extra 15 minutes to do your makeup and pick a nice outfit can lift your spirits.

If you are mentally “in the weeds”, simplify your bedding and wardrobe to make getting in and out of bed as seamless as possible.

I know that there is a lot of discourse online about the importance of making your bed everyday. Maybe I am just not old enough to appreciate that, but when I am burnt out, making my bed is the last thing I want to do. When I am emotionally drained, I simplify my bedding to just my comforter and loosely lay it out rather than worrying about folding my sheets and tucking them into the mattress. In addition to this, I lay out a few different simple outfits to wear for class. Loose, comfortable clothing is my go-to when I am feeling down.

Organize and go through your emails in your spare time.

Having an organized school email has significantly helped me feel less stressed about juggling all of my commitments. I get anxiety about missing important emails, so having the least amount of unread messages in my inbox each morning is a relief. I have tabs in my email for school, clubs, my sorority, and my upcoming internship. This way, if there is an email I’ve looked over that I might need in the future, I can store it away in the right place without it filling up my general inbox.

Those are my most useful tips for fighting burnout in college. Resiliency is so important in the collegiate environment, so I hope you all can take something valuable from this message to carry forward into your week.

Claire Brodish is a third-year student at the University of Virginia studying Commerce. Claire serves as the chapter's President. Keep up with her on Instagram @claire_brodish xx