This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Spring is officially upon us. With with spring comes warm weather, new fashion and… spring cleaning. One thing people too often forget to take care of and clean is their makeup bag. This is one of the most important things you can clean. Not keeping your makeup bag and its contents clean can be a disaster for your skin and your makeup look. Try going through this list of ways to clean up your makeup this spring to help improve your skin health.

1. Deep clean your makeup brushes

This may seem like an obvious one, but it’s easy to forget the last time you washed your brushes was and before you know it a month has gone by without cleaning your brushes. Giving you brushes a deep clean can help prevent acne, allow for better color application, and most importantly, helps you to avoid spreading germs. This highly rated makeup cleaner allows you to scrub off the abrasive caked on makeup with a sponge cleaner. You can also make your own makeup brush cleaner at home! Once you’ve cleaned your brushes, make sure you’re storing them in a sanitary place where they can air out in between uses.

https://www.sephora.com/product/solid-clean-solid-brush-cleaner-P389120?icid2=:p389120:product

Image Courtesy of Sephora.com

2. Check for expired makeup

Using expired makeup can be really bad for your skin, especially if your skin is prone to breakouts. It can be difficult to part with your favorite eyeshadow or eyeliner, but for the sake of your skin – throw it out. As a guide, you should replace your mascara every month and anything liquid should be replaced every six months.

Image Courtesy of Stock Snap

3. Deep clean your actual makeup bag

Take the time to remove everything from your makeup bag and clean out all of the spills and debris that have been accumulating at the bottom of your bag. This will help you keep your makeup up sanitary in between deep cleans and will also help colors to stay pure. You can try wiping down the inside of your bag with a sanitary wipe or a makeup wipe to remove stubborn stains.

4. Clean your eyelash curler and other tools

Besides brushes, there are other makeup tools that are often overlooked when during cleanings. Try to remove the mascara residue from your eyelash curler. This will help prevent your eyeliner from smudging and can can prevent germs from making contact with your eye. You should also wipe down tweezers, you hot tools such as your curling iron, and your hair brush. These are all things that can build up residue and germs.

5. Organize your products

Now that you’ve deep cleaned all of your beauty products, take the time to organize everything for easy access and use every morning. You could organize your products by frequency of use by having an everyday makeup bag and then a separate bag for products you don’t use as often. You could also organize by product type and out each type of product into a smaller makeup bag. This strategy is especially handy if you have an extensive collection.

Deep cleaning your makeup collection is a great way to kick off your spring cleaning routine! By taking the time to properly clean all of your beauty products, you can do wonders for your skin and general health!