white monochrome outfit 2
white monochrome outfit 2
Tracy Le
Career

Summer Internship: Business Casual Tips For College Girlbosses

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

I don’t know about you but I practically live in leggings and sweatshirts all year round and I’m sure my typical summer wardrobe of skirts and crop tops won’t get me far in an office setting. So last week when I was notified I would be working in an office this summer, as excited as I was, my mind automatically jumped to the hot southern summers that I have heard compared to a Satan’s armpit. As an Arizona girl myself, I am no stranger to the heat, but the one thing I have yet to tackle is the humidity that makes me sweat enough to fill the Gulf of Mexico. So I’ve decided to do what I know best, research. I have compiled a list of decent essentials that I will be wearing five days a week for the next three months. 

Obviously, I am working in an office with past experience in a courtroom setting so my opinions are based on my past experiences and research. 

My biggest piece of advice is to ask, if you are unsure what your job is categorized as in the dress department you can always ask. Mine is primarily business casual and since I want to feel cool and confident I am planning on dressing up a little bit more. 

The vague definition of business casual I have found is no jeans, closed-toed shoes and blouse or appropriate shirts. In my opinion that gives me little room to be expressive and unique but here are some basics that I plan to use. 

Let’s start at the top… 

Hair accessories, if you have read any of my past articles you know I have a head of frizzy curly hair that isn’t a fan of humidity so claw clips are my friends. But since I know myself and tend to go kinda basic on the side of outfits, accessories help me dress up and make the outfit more individual to me. So I personally have some gold and silver claw clips along with some simple bows or scarfs, nothing large but enough to keep my hair out of my face but give my outfit a bit of a feminine flair. 

For blouses I like to keep it simple, having a white button-up and a black button-up is key for such essentials as both go with a nice blazer or just peek out of a sweater vest or jacket. Having a simple base is always good if you prefer to not think too hard about your outfit every day. I also like to keep some nicer short-sleeved shirts, perhaps something with a bit of a mock neck, if job permitting, to go casually under a blazer.

A simple cover-up for the air-conditioned office is a good idea, whether it’s a blazer or a half zip sweater, I recommend having something basic that goes with everything, such as a white and navy sweater or a simple black blazer. 

Wide-leg slacks are a huge part of my wardrobe already and I find them to be cute and comfortable rather than the tighter slacks that stick to your skin. They work well because of the large pockets that don’t ruin the aesthetic of them and if they are too big, they go well with a belt. I have them in several colors including black and navy which will pair with any number of shoes and shirts.If you prefer a different fit, that’s great! But the bare minimum is having comfortable pants that let you move and make you feel like you could conquer the world. 

Next is shoes, these are some of the most important parts of any outfit. They need to be cute and not kill the outfit but more importantly, they must be comfortable. Don’t feel too bad dropping a little more on shoes because those are the bases for which you will be doing your job. A simple pair of black slides will go with anything and be comfy enough to get around, if you want something a little more stylized, chunky Mary-Janes or something with a comfortable heel like a boot will fit with any kind of slacks, wide or slim and will make you feel like a bit of a girlboss while staying simple. 

Finally, jewelry, whether you are a gold or silver person, I find myself to be both, make sure it’s not too chunky. Find something dainty or simple, perhaps layer a pendant with a chain but try not to overwhelm it. Keep the earrings similar with small hoops or quaint dangles to keep the concept but use this to express yourself on top of a more basic fit.

Ultimately, you want to be comfortable and confident, so if you want to dress in bright colors and strut your stuff like the Elle Woods you are meant to be, good for you! Remember to be you inside and out and you’re going to be an amazing intern! Stay gorgeous my girls.

Savannah Hafer is an author and social media member for Her Campus at the University of Virginia, she primarily enjoys writing about local events on grounds and topics of interest such as self-betterment, women's empowerment, and career opportunities for women in STEM. Outside of writing, she is a third-year Aerospace Engineering Major at the University. She spent her last summer in the judicial system interning under a County Supreme Court Justice, specializing in criminal law. Although seemingly unrelated to her major, she plans on becoming a Patent Lawyer for aeronautical and aerospace companies using her background in both engineering and flying to aid in her final goal. Outside of her career building and academics she is an Eagle Scout and prioritizes following 'do a good turn daily' as her mantra and finds purpose in empowering the wonderful and strong women around her. She loves backpacking, mountain biking, playing rugby, and writing in her spare time between classes. If she's not outside or in class you'll find her in the gym between the weights and racks probably trying to figure out how many reps she's done because she lost count.