Rules For Your Semester: A Guide To Staying On Track This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Every semester I begin with a set of ‘rules’ for myself in an attempt to avoid the inevitable burnout that happens around midterms. Last semester I came up with 5 rules and they led to a successful semester with minimal burnout. So hopefully these help you as much as me.

1. Don’t Skip Class, Exceptions: Illness or Academic Excuses. I know what you’re thinking, I used to drag myself to class through sinus infections and worse ailments but throughout my academic career I’ve found missing one day puts me in a better space to heal quicker. I’d much prefer staying home and getting some rest while catching up on some work than being sick with the frat flu for a couple of weeks.  As an engineering student, it’s pretty important to keep myself in my classes but I also know it’s almost as important for me to further my career, ergo ‘Academic Excuses’ including but not limited to interviews, internships, fairs, and guest lecturers. Through these exceptions, I can keep my versions of ‘perfect attendance’ throughout the semester without stressing myself out too much.
  1. Study Every Night. No matter how much homework you have or if you had that class that day or not, you should still study. My typical night follows the routine of finishing up the homework due that night or week and then proceeding to rewrite some notes from that day so it sticks. It’s always good to keep the topics you learned fresh and if you’re anything like me, no matter how hard you try, sometimes those classes that last longer than my attention span frequently need a review.
  1.  Self-Care Routine. My typical routine starts with hair mask Mondays and finishes with face mask Fridays with a whole lot in between, which always gives me something to look forward to at the end of the day. Whether it’s painting my nails on Wednesdays or everything showers on Tuesdays, that little thing gets me through the snooze fest that is my study time.
  1. Don’t Study in Your Home: I get distracted VERY easily and in my home, with all the things I like around me is not it. Therefore, I find myself gravitating towards studying in libraries at night or between classes so that I avoid doing so in the space I reserve for relaxing. Now there are definitely exceptions such as lazy weekend mornings or post-library hour study sessions but ultimately it’s always my goal to avoid it.
  1. Form a Routine: I am not exactly the queen of getting stuff done in a timely manner. I’m more the empress of distress while trying to complete my to-do lists, but I’ve found when I can keep my schedule consistent it helps a lot. This semester my classes allow me to wake up at the same time every morning. I leave an hour to wake up and prepare for the day and usually through a workout if time allows on later start days but ultimately I get both my body and mind in the routine every weekday and it’s perfect for keeping me in line with my good habits. 

I know some of these sound a little cheesy and overused but this got me through my fall semester and I’m relying on them to do the same once again. I hope this helps you even a little bit. Take care of yourself this semester!

Savannah Hafer is an author and social media member for Her Campus at the University of Virginia, she primarily enjoys writing about local events on grounds and topics of interest such as self-betterment, women's empowerment, and career opportunities for women in STEM. Outside of writing, she is a third-year Aerospace Engineering Major at the University. She spent her last summer in the judicial system interning under a County Supreme Court Justice, specializing in criminal law. Although seemingly unrelated to her major, she plans on becoming a Patent Lawyer for aeronautical and aerospace companies using her background in both engineering and flying to aid in her final goal. Outside of her career building and academics she is an Eagle Scout and prioritizes following 'do a good turn daily' as her mantra and finds purpose in empowering the wonderful and strong women around her. She loves backpacking, mountain biking, playing rugby, and writing in her spare time between classes. If she's not outside or in class you'll find her in the gym between the weights and racks probably trying to figure out how many reps she's done because she lost count.