This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The stress of Zoom University is hovering over a lot of us. The stress of college is enough to bear during normal circumstances, but trying to create a schedule and motivate ourselves during this time is difficult. One of the best ways to ease stress is to escape and my favorite form of escapism is through film. Here are 5 of my favorite comfort movies that help me wind down after a long day of hard work (and some snacks never hurt anyone.)

Mamma Mia! (2008)

When I think of bliss, the first thing that comes to mind is belting ABBA on the Greek coast. “Mamma Mia” provides nearly 2 hours of singing, dancing, beautiful Grecian landscapes, and of course, love. You don’t have to like musical theatre to appreciate this movie and come on, it’s Meryl-freaking-Streep.

Tangled (2010)

Any Disney film can be comforting, but “Tangled” is my favorite. It reinvented a classic fairytale of a damsel in distress and turned Rapunzel into a force to be reckoned with. The animation is stunning, the music is lively, but most importantly, it showcases love, family, and drama.

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

There will forever be the debate of which “Pride & Prejudice” adaptation is better, but this one just makes my heart flutter. Lizzy and Darcy’s love story is absolutely timeless, and the Georgian costumes are a treat for the eyes. Unfortunately, there is one downside to this, and it is the unfortunate reality that it is very difficult to find a man that is up to Mr. Darcy’s standards.

Legally Blonde (2001)

Yes, this is a cliché pick, but something about Elle Woods motivates me to get sh*t done. She graduated from Harvard Law when everyone was against her. If she can do that, I can finish this essay. All in all, it’s an inspiring tale, but self-aware with its comedy and silliness.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

No film has given me more of a serotonin boost than “My Neighbor Totoro.” It follows two sisters who have moved into a new home to be close to their sick mother. They find a hidden forest and find a strange, yet insanely adorable, creature named Totoro. If you want to watch a film that will give you butterflies for 90 minutes straight, watch this.

hi! my names emmaline and i'm a 4th english major at uva. thanks for reading!
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!