friends road trip california fall break windows down music
Molly Peach / Her Campus

How To Get Over Him In 10 Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

My first ever Her Campus article (and my favorite) was about my very dear GRWM/ going-out playlist. Making playlists is an art that takes serious consideration however, it’s an art I’ve become quite good at. My “u don’t need him!” playlist is one designed to get you over that man (or your significant other) within 10 songs. By the end of it you’ll be wiping away your tears and setting off to get you a new one!

“BEST THING I NEVER HAD” – BEYONCé

To start off our getting over him journey, we have Queen Bey telling us the exact attitude we should be having. Sometimes we tend to want what’s not best for us and while you may not realize it now, the queen was right in telling you he was the best thing you never had! This song is quite an optimistic view to have on things not working out as you thought they would but as Beyoncé says, be thankful he blew it and thank God you dodged a bullet!

“DEAD TO ME” – KALI UCHis

I personally believe the best way to get over someone is to completely cut off all contact. Whenever that slimy, evil man tries to sneak his way back into your life (they always come back), you need to press block and turn this song on. Let that man stay mad and bothered, he is dead to you!

“kill bill” – sza

Drifting a little from the soft girl and unbothered attitude, Kill Bill is just the song you need for that part of your moving on journey where you’re absolutely delusional and dealing with conflicting feelings. While it may not be the healthiest way of thinking, its a real one. We want to be mature and not admit it but deep down “I might kill my ex, I still love him though” is a thought thats passed through all our minds.

“thank u, next” – ariana grande

This song is a classic and one that puts your heartbreak into context. While men tend to be good for nothing, one thing I give them credit for is teaching you a lesson. All of your relationships, no matter how bitter they may have ended, give you memories and teach you something that builds your character. Instead of moping about it, be thankful for what you had and move onto the next!

“needed me” – rihanna

Staying on track with the “thank you, next!” vibe, is RiRi reminding you that he needed you and not the other way around! Sometimes heartbreak can make you forget where you stand but you will never ever need a man. Remember that you were “good on your own”, thats the way it was” and you’ll be that way again!

“throw away” – future

Now if there’s one artist you can count on to get you over someone, it’s Future. He embodies the toxic man attitude and sometimes we need to think like men to get over them as fast as they do us! This song gives you the best of both worlds by first letting you know “it’s gon’ be okay” because you never wanted them for real in the first place but then letting you embrace your feelings and questioning why your “love don’t mean that much” to them. He goes full circle to end the song saying “mark my words I’ma ball without you” and that sure is the truth!

“woman like me” – adele

This song screams ‘I’m way too good for you” in the most classy, elegant way possible. Sometimes you just need Adele’s angelic voice to remind you that it’s not his fault he has never had a woman like you!

“over it” – summer walker

“Over It” is just the tune to turn on when you start remembering all the times you let s**t slide. Summer Walker starts off the song asking “am I really too much to handle?” and by the end of the song you’ll know the answer is no, he’s just a bum. If you listen to this song enough times you really will be over it!

“You broke my heart” – drake

This song just came out but it’s already a certified heartbreak anthem. Crying to Drake singing “you broke my heart” then tightening up to scream “f**k my ex” 30 times will clear you of any feelings you still had. This song is just an addition to the collection of classic breakup songs by Drake such as “Marvin’s Room” and “Feel No Ways”.

“irreplaceable” – beyoncé

I saved my favorite song for last because its the one that inspired this playlist in the first place. We should all know our worth as much as Beyoncé does for her to be able to confidently sing “I can have another you in a minute, matter of fact, he’ll be here in a minute”. This current epidemic of nonchalant men can make us ladies forget that we indeed are the prize and no man is irreplaceable so this here song serves as a reminder: if a man isn’t treating you the way he should be, the only words you should give him the grace of uttering are “everything you own in a box to the left”.

Huma Khalid is a first year student at the University of Virginia intending to major in commerce. She is on the writing, Spotify, and Twitter teams for UVA's Her Campus. Outside of Her Campus, Huma is involved in the Outdoors Club, the Virginia Ski and Snowboard Team, Students for Justice in Palestine, and the Muslim Student Association. She is a also part of the Women’s Business Forum and volunteers through the Education and Youth division of Madison House. In her free time, Huma enjoys working out, journaling, spending time outdoors, and going to concerts!