This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Mental health has been a struggle for many recently. Ever since quarantine started, everyone’s lives have changed drastically. We cannot do as many activities anymore, we must adapt to an online learning environment, and we must make sure to do what we have to in order to keep ourselves and everyone around us safe from contracting COVID-19. Even with all of these extra worries and struggles, we must all remember to take care of ourselves and our mental health. That is always important no matter what is going on in the world. So here are some ways to take care of your mental health if you feel like you need help or just a break from the world.

Take Time for Yourself

In my opinion, the most important thing to do during stressful times is to take time for yourself. Even with all of these crazy events happening in our world we still have responsibilities such as school, jobs, clubs, and other activities. It can be a lot sometimes, especially since many people are still adapting to online school. So it is important to clear your mind and do relaxing activities you enjoy. This can be reading, watching a movie, spending time with friends and family, as well as any activity that you feel is relaxing and takes your mind off of stressful  situations.

Keep up your Hobbies and Try Staying Active

When stressed, it is easy to fall out of the things you enjoy since you are very focused on other things. But, it is still important to do things you enjoy. They can help you take your mind off of stressful situations. Make sure to manage your time well and fit in activities that you enjoy doing. Also, there are many known benefits of exercising and staying active while you are stressed. There are many studies that say exercise has a positive impact on depression, anxiety, stress, and it boosts your overall mood. The exercise doesn’t have to be anything extreme, it can be as simple as a walk or you can even play a sport you enjoy.

Reach out to Friends and Family and other Support Systems

If you are feeling down, it is always good to try talking to someone who cares about you. When feeling stressed or down, it is easy to forget that there are people out there who care about you. It is also important to not feel embarrassed doing this because those who care about you will always be willing to help you and they want the best for you.

Take Advantage of Free Mental Health Services

Luckily, for those who cannot afford mental health services there are many free options that exist! The first place to check would be at your school. At UVA for example, there is a free mental health resource called UVA CAPS (Counseling & Psychological Services). You can schedule appointments and contact them if you’re ever in need of assistance. They can also help refer you to local therapists. Also, all of the information you give them is confidential and cannot be shared with anyone else. Other than free resources, there are also national hotlines you can call. One of the most well known hotlines is the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255. There are also most likely hotlines that are more specific to your area, so make sure to research mental health resources in your area.

Hi! I'm Christina, I am a 2nd year and I am planning on studying biology or commerce (still figuring things out). In my free time, I enjoy working out, volunteering, photography, and baking.
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!