This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Looking to get outside, enjoy some fresh air, and gorgeous fall scenery? Here’s a list of fun, easy and wonderful hikes near Charlottesville to get you in the fall spirit.

Humpback Rock

Humpback Rock, Virginia 22920

Humpback Rock is a classic for the Charlottesville community. This 1-mile out and back is perfect for a short but sweet hike with a rewarding view at the top. It is popular during sunrise and sunset, and the changing colors and falling leaves make it an every more magical spot.

Rivanna Trail

Albemarle County, Charlottesville, VA 22911

The Rivanna Trail is a lovely, winding trail that follows the Rivanna River near the outskirts of Charlottesville. It spans over 20 miles and is perfect for a quick walk or long stroll. The trial is surrounded by trees and during the fall, it is truly a gorgeous sight to see.

old rag

Old Rag Mountain, Virginia 22743

If you are looking for a longer trip to soak in all the fall spirits, Old Rag is perfect for you. Located in the Shenandoah Mountains, Old Rag features a 9.8 mile loop with a breath-taking panoramic view at the top, especially in the fall! The area features several different trails if you are looking for a quicker route or want to try something new, so it is perfect for everyone.

Note: You will need a Shenandoah Pass to enter this hike.

White Oak Canyon trials

Whiteoak Canyon Trail, Virginia

White Oak Canyon Trails combines two of the best things ever: waterfalls and fall scenery. This 9.5 mile loop in the Shenandoah has everything you need for a perfect fall hike. You will come upon waterfalls and swimming holes all while still enjoying the crisp fall air and wondrous scenes.

Note: You will need a Shenandoah Pass to enter this hike

Some Tips to make your trip even better:

There’s nothing better than enjoying some fall-favored treats on a gorgeous fall hike. I always love a pre-hike, during hike, or post-hike sweet fall treat to make the day even better. I would recommend pumpkin muffins/bread, apple cider donuts, oatmeal cookies, fall-themed hot drink, or any other fall delicacy.

Ailish Humphreys has been with Her Campus Media and Writing since 2023. She attends the University of Virginia and loves to talk fashion, coffee, music, and food. At the University of Virginia, Ailish is planning to study a STEM-related field and graduate in 2027. She hopes to engage in undergraduate research and involve herself in clubs and organizations around grounds. When she's not pursuing academic or career opportunities, you can find her hiking, watching a show, taking a nap, or enjoying a yummy meal. Follow her on Instagram at @ailish.humphreys