Style > Beauty

Popular Makeup Foundations, Ranked By Toxicity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Part of living a healthy lifestyle is looking at what products we put not just in, but on, our bodies. And, well, what I’ve found in my exploration of beauty ingredients is not pretty. From parabens to SLS to triclosan and more, our cosmetics are jam packed with toxic ingredients that can have major health impacts. I highly recommend looking at the EWG Skin Deep database for full details on the studies and research-based information on these ingredients. These scientists really know a thing or two about the effects of these toxic ingredients.

These rankings are based upon the EWG database and the Think Dirty app (highly recommend for any budding green beauty enthusiast) and the studies and research that have been performed.

High Toxicity

• Lancome Teint Idole- This foundation is ranked a ten because of the ingredient Octinoxate, a sunscreen ingredient that is also a known endocrine disruptor.
  • Maybelline Fit Me– Maybelline’s Fit Me foundation contains Octinoxate, three types of parabens, and fragrance. Parabens are also endocrine disruptors, specifically mimicking estrogen in the body. Fragrance can be up to 100 different chemicals, and some can contain irritating ingredients.
  • L’Oreal True Match– True Match contains a little ingredient known as Diazonlidyl Urea, an irritant, and agent of contact dermatitis.

Medium Toxicity

• Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick– This foundation stick by Bobbi Brown has been ranked a seven because of the ingredients polyethylene and barbasol. Polyethylene is a plasticizing agent, and is harmful to the environment because it is not biodegradable.
  • BareMinerals Complexion Rescue– BareMinerals makes fairly clean products. But, because the Complexion Rescue contains phenoxyethanol, a preservative and possible neurotoxin, it ranks as a five on the Think Dirty app.
  • L’Oreal Pro-Matte– The Pro-Matte foundation also contains phenoxyethanol, in addition to two types of dimethicone, which are both classified as skin irritates.

Low Toxicity

All of these options below rank very clean on the Think Dirty App, and are excellent options for foundation that will leave your skin healthy and clean!

Hi! I am Olivia Bunting, but most people call me Liv. I am a first year at UVA, and I am so excited to be a part of HerCampus!