Wellness > Mental Health

The Best Ways To Relieve Stress According To Experts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

With the new school year just starting up things can get stressful and chaotic. Your head might be clouded, and feelings of stress, anxiety, and even sadness may arise. When things may get hard, there are fun and easy ways to relieve stress.

While some of the following may seem “generic” or “basic” it’s a good reminder that these things do work, and they’re always good to have in the back of your mind when you’re feeling like you’re in a tough spot. So, here are 4 ways to relieve stress according to Harvard Health, National Institute of Mental Health, and Mayo Clinic,

Exercise 

I know what you’re probably thinking, “I have no time to go to the gym because my schedule is so busy”. Trust me, I get it. But the good news is, going to the gym isn’t the only form of exercise that relieves stress. According to Harvard Health a 20 minute walk can clear your head and reduce stress. Even a good 10-15 minute stretch session will help! Per Harvard Health, physical activity stimulates endorphins, which are the body’s mood elevators, and reduces the body’s stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. So, the next time you have some time to yourself and you’re feeling stressed, go on a walk, go to the gym, or just stretch!

Hang out with some friends

When we’re in a rut and stressed out, sometimes all we want to do is curl up in bed and turn on Grey’s Anatomy or Gilmore Girls and eat ice cream all night. While this is okay from time to time, it’s also important to have some social interaction. So, if you feel up to it, text a friend or two and set up dinner, grab some coffee, or go on a Hot Girl Walk! According to Mayo Clinic, the benefits of social interaction can serve as a distraction, or you may find support in the friends you’re hanging out with. 

Journal 

Journaling has been such a big trend in the past year for good reason. Writing down your inner thoughts on paper is extremely therapeutic. It is a good way to vent and let out any emotions you have. You can even learn some things about yourself while journaling. It’s a very personal practice that allows you to practice mindfulness and release stress. Your journal can be anything you want it to be.

Take Care of Yourself 

This one might seem self-explanatory, but you’d be surprised how minor tweaks in your lifestyle can reduce stress levels. Keeping a healthy diet, getting enough sleep, limiting alcohol, and making sure you’re active, are all very basic things you can do to reduce stress levels. This isn’t to say you can’t go out and enjoy time and a meal with your friends, but it’s also important to remember that taking care of yourself and your body is the number one priority!

Your mental health is extremely important, and it’s even more important to know how to take care of your mind. As much as we want to keep pushing, we continuously put pressure on ourselves to be successful. It’s okay to take a step back sometimes and regather yourself by using one of these strategies in the process.

If you or someone else is struggling with mental health, visit the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline or call 988. In case of an emergency call the National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP(4357) or 911. 

Nya Mason is on the writing and social media team at the Virginia Chapter. This is her first semester with HerCampus. She's also from Northern Virginia. Beyond Her Campus, Nya is involved with a national mentoring program called College Mentors for Kids and the Active Minds club. She is currently a first year at the University of Virginia with an intended pre-law major. In her free time, Nya loves to go to the gym, go on walks, get coffee, grab food, and watch movies with her friends. She also loves to read all different types of books. Nya also loves to binge watch her favorite shows like Grey's Anatomy, Friends, New Girl, and Suits.