Girl In The Road Winter
Girl In The Road Winter
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Beating that Winter Slump

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Coming up with an idea for an article this week was challenging at first. As I sat on FaceTime with my mom, giving her the rundown of what I’ve been up to since the last time we talked, I said: “This is the worst time of the year, nothing’s going on that I can write about. There’s no Christmas or Halloween, and it won’t be warm for months.” My mom, being a genius, realized the potential in that: what is there to do in the cold, dark months of winter? How can we stop ourselves from slipping into that yucky winter slump? 

#1: Reward Yourself

Homework is always annoying, but something about doing it at a time of the year when it is dark by 5:00PM is miserable. The worst thing someone can do at this point is to be hard on themselves, which we here at UVA seem to do pretty often. Instead of beating ourselves up for procrastinating, or whatever it may be, take a minute to be proud of what you’ve accomplished that week or that day so far. Even if it’s not much, you did it! 

If the trouble is in getting you to do any work at all, set up rewards for yourself. Even if it’s just a couple of minutes of phone time after you’ve read a certain number of pages, this method can keep you focused and get what you need to get done in a somewhat fun way.

person holding iphone outside
Photo by Paul Hanaoka from Unsplash

#2: Go Out to Eat and Go Outdoors

It can be really easy to fall into the same routine in the gloom of winter. Go to class, come home, eat the same old thing, etc. It’s important to shake up our engrained daily plans, though! Plan a night to go out to eat, or get coffee, not only as a reward to yourself but also as a way to give yourself a change of scenery. Doing something you don’t usually do adds interest and excitement in your day, as well as something to look forward to throughout the week.

In addition to going out to eat or getting coffee, outdoor time is essential, especially if you’re running low on money like most of us often are! I understand this sounds crazy considering winter is, well you know, winter. But put on that furry-hooded parka and get just a few minutes of fresh air. Sit on a bench and really consider your surroundings, taking in the sounds, smells, sights, etc. This time to slow down can make all the difference.

Women eating bruschetta together
Pexels / Adrienn

#3: Family and Friends

For some reason, college kids have this weird thing where if you go home, you have to have a good reason or something. Sometimes you just need to go home and relax! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, family or our friends at home can offer a welcome escape from a winter funk. Go home, have some Mama’s cooking, and see your dog. You won’t regret it.

Not all of us have a picture-perfect family to go home to, and that’s okay. Friends here at school can help us relax and enjoy ourselves just as much as a family can. Try and hang out with these people, even if your warm bed and Netflix is calling you in the other direction.

Four Women In Front Of Green Bushes
Hannah Nelson / Pexels

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!