5 Ways to Safely Celebrate Halloween This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

This year has been pretty spooky and not in a good way like Halloween. However, that does not mean we can’t celebrate Halloween! Even though Trick-or-Treating on the Lawn is no longer happening, there are still several ways to safely embrace the spooky season. 

Dress up with roommates or a small group of friends and throw a mini party

While trick-or-treating and large Halloween parties are a no go this year, who says you can’t have your own? Throw a mini Halloween party with your roommates or a friend group of 10 or less and let the festivities begin! Check out our Pinterest for some easy yet fun costumes to recreate. 

Additionally, you can decorate your place with orange string lights, fake spider webs, and the classic carved pumpkins. If you want to get a little BOO-zy, check out these cool Halloween drinks: Risen from the Grave Cocktail, Swamp Thing, Halloween Pumpkin Patch. For more fall cocktail ideas, check out Emma Gonder’s article from last week! 

Bake halloween themed desserts and watch a movie

For a more cozy night in, bake Halloween themed desserts and watch some classic magical movies. Disney’s Hocus Pocus and Halloweenteen are the best Halloween movies hands down. As for desserts, three ingredient ghost cookies are super easy and lots of fun to make. Christina Kapralos also has an article about great fall recipes to try too. 

Carve or paint pumpkins

Although pumpkin season is almost over, it’s never too late to decorate pumpkins! Trader Joe’s currently has a whole pumpkin patch in their store, and they are all pretty cheap and carve-worthy. You can carve pumpkins and put a candle inside to top off the end of spooky season. Painting is another option that is fun, easy, and relatively mess free! 

Binge watch Halloween themed Disney episodes 

The most iconic Disney Channel Halloween special is The Suite Life of Zack and Cody’s “Ghost of Suite 613” episode. It’s a great episode to watch every Halloween along with all of Disney’s other specials. If you’re looking to do a full on Disney Channel Halloween special marathon, check out Ariel Liu’s article

Trick-or-Treat on Animal Crossing New Horizons

Last but not least, Animal Crossing New Horizons is hosting a Halloween event from 5PM-12AM on October 31st. Jack the Halloween Czar hosts the event and provides you the opportunity to trick-or-treat with your villagers by exchanging candies and lollipops for DIY recipes and items. You can also receive Halloween costumes from Jack and earn new Reactions like Haunt and Scare. 

Hope you all have a safe and happy Halloween!

Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!