nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Work-Appropriate Wardrobe Staples So You Can Rock Your Summer Internship in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Now that you’ve gotten over the excitement of landing the summer internship of your dreams, you’re probably wondering (with dread, if you’re like me) what you are going to wear every day. The struggle to maintain a professional appearance without sacrificing fashion is one that all women will encounter at some point in their lives. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to add personal flair to your work-appropriate wardrobe. Check out this list of professional style staples for some inspo! You’ll be trading boring blazers and flats for cropped pants and trendy loafers in no time!

1. Chambray Dress – A chic alternative to the standard navy shift dress, chambray dresses are both comfortable and cute. The light denim material will keep you breezy on hot summer days. And they are totally versatile, so they can be dressed up and accessorized to match your personal style. 

Photo Courtesy of Zara

2. Cropped Pants – The cropped, tapered silhouette is the latest trend in pants, since it is so flattering and comes in a lot of different styles. You can find a pair of cropped pants in any pattern or fabric, ensuring that you can make this look your own.

Photo Courtesy of Revolve

3. Updated Flats – There are plenty of new and improved ways to wear the classic ballet flat, a favorite accessory in the professional world. Slides are a comfy, edgier take on flats and they come in tons of different patterns. Opt for a pointy toe or a loafer-style if you’re feeling adventurous!

Photo Courtesy of Revolve

4. Ruffled Blouses – Ruffled tops are having a moment right now, and they also happen to be completely work-appropriate! You should be able to find ruffles at at almost any clothing store, from tiny details to full ruffled sleeves like the shirt pictured below.

Photo Courtesy of Nordstrom