This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As the fall semester begins, students both on and off Grounds are settling in for a college experience different from the past. Upperclassmen must get used to this new normal, while first year students try to get accustomed to life away from home. In particular for first years, it’s hard to start eating at a dining hall everyday when you’re used to meals at home or from a local restaurant that you love. That’s why I’ve put together a small list of easy to reach Charlottesville restaurants that all students should make sure to check out.

Bodo’s Bagels

With three locations around Charlottesville, Bodo’s is famous for their legendary bagels and cheap prices. They are a must-visit for any student, local, or visitor. On grounds students can easily get to Bodo’s on the Corner, where they are offering take-out options. Upperclassmen with cars can patronize the location on Emmet Street which has a drive-through. Whether you want a sandwich for lunch or a box of assorted bagels to share with friends at a picnic on the Lawn, Bodo’s is the place to go.

Asado Wing & Taco Company

Asado is one of the best places to go if you’re looking for some good tacos, wings, or both! Their food is delicious, and pretty inexpensive considering the amazing flavor. They have a variety of wing rubs and sauces, as well as an option to get your wings boneless (which, if you’re like me, is a TOTAL plus). Asado’s biggest draw is their “Dos Amigos” special: six wings and any jumbo taco of your choice. With their easy to pick up take-out options and their open patio, Asado is a great restaurant to patronize this semester.

The Juice Laundry

The Juice Laundry has some of the best smoothies, bowls, and cold-pressed juices. Everything is 100% organic, and all of their offerings are great for eating something yummy that’s healthy too! With a location on the Corner and on Grounds at the AFC, The Juice Laundry is super accessible for both on and off Grounds students. Their smoothies are the perfect choice for a quick grab between classes.

While I may be a little biased, as these are all some of my favorite restaurants in Charlottesville, I hope that you find one (or all!) of these options just as amazing as I do. And if not, there’s tons of other places to choose from that are within walking distance from dorms or apartments. 

Supporting local businesses, including restaurants, is so important right now due to the pandemic, whether through take-out or dine-in. Just remember to respect the employees of the establishments (and your fellow customers) by wearing a mask when you’re not eating and by social distancing as much as possible!

Leah Talbott is a third year at the University of Virginia. She is majoring in psychology and planning on attending graduate school to obtain her Master's degree in I/O psychology after graduation. Leah enjoys writing, being creative, trying out new restaurants, and spending time with her golden retriever.
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!