14 Ways to #TreatYoSelf This Valentine’s Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

For all of us single peeps out there, the season of love and romance is often an excuse to neglect ourselves and submerge ourselves in chores to avoid acknowledging what is happening around us. We assume that since we do not have a significant other to share a romantic outing with, we should ignore any hint of Valentine’s Day whatsoever. But why not take ourselves out for an all-you-can eat dinner at our favorite restaurant?  Why not rent that movie we’ve been dying to watch and accompany it with that chocolate bar we’ve been eyeing?

While it may be true that many of the events that happen around us this season involve pairs and groups, there is no reason not to enjoy being single and celebrate yourself. How about we adjust that mentality, and change this season of #Love into a time to #TreatYoSelf? Here are a few tips on how to do this:

1. Take this opportunity to get a hold of that chocolate bar you’ve been eyeing at the store. Buy it, eat it and never regret it, because you deserve it.

2. Exercise! Workouts are proven to revitalize your system and put you in a good mood. Maybe that optimistic attitude is all you need!

3. Call that one friend you haven’t talked to in a while. While this might be a strange way to #TreatYoSelf, it may actually end up benefitting you as you reminisce about the good old days with a friend.

4. Create a playlist for yourself. You will no longer need to scour iTunes or Spotify for your favorite songs! They will all be in one place, and all thanks to you.

5. Cook your favorite meal (or attempt to do so)! Some people (like me) aren’t really chefs, but the fun is in the process, not in the outcome! Who knows, maybe you’ll end up with a stellar slice of pizza (even if you end up ordering in).

6. Dress it up; for yourself not for others. Put on that fabulous dress you’ve been wanting to wear all season. If you admire it on yourself, you can be 100% sure others will admire it too!

7. Hang out with your friends if you’re a people’s person.

8. Grab a book, go to the nearest park and finish it.

9. Allow yourself to sleep in! Who knows, that breather may be exactly what you need to kick the rest of the year’s butt!

10. Take a trip, hike or swim. There is nothing that sounds more satisfying than an adventure in nature!

11. Buy yourself a present. All year we are buying gifts for others for their birthdays, celebrations and holidays. How about we get one for ourselves this time?

12. Meditate, meditate, meditate. Connect with your inner self and gather all that energy back into your system!

13. Stock up on some DIYs. Turn up some music, open up Pinterest and create something for yourself.

14. Remind yourself how special you are and how lucky other people are to have you in their lives.

Single ladies and gentlemen deserve an equally fabulous season of celebration. So, no need for tears, because the smiles are here to stay!

"Dont set yourself on fire, to keep others from getting warm." -UnknownSecond Year Psyhcology Student at the University of Virginia. Wahoowa!