Wellness

Self-Care: Let’s Switch the Narrative From Luxury, to Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

When I was a freshman in high school (cue gag reflex), I wore about ten different makeup products to school: mascara, eyeliner, lipgloss, foundation, concealer, powder, blush, bronzer, and some form of eyebrow gel. Why I felt the need to go to school looking like Malibu Barbie I’ll never understand, but it was definitely rooted in early teenaged insecurity. With all the makeup I was wearing, I didn’t even recognize myself anymore, but I didn’t want to take it off because I didn’t like who I was underneath it.

We’re taught even as young girls that we must enhance the best parts of ourselves and cover the worst parts, in order to make for the socially ideal appearance. But it wasn’t until I was a sophomore that I realized there are no “worst parts” of ourselves that we should hide. If anything, we should embrace all parts of ourselves as beautiful and find that sense of acceptance within ourselves. This realization launched a personal self-care revolution.

I started investing my time and money in skincare, haircare, and body care, rather than makeup. I researched my skin type and found products that worked for me, improving my skin’s health and giving me a glow that makeup never could. I stopped straightening my wavy hair every week, and started to repair it with deep conditioners to return it to its natural state. I began using eyelash serums, taking collagen supplements, and doing body scrubs three times a week just to feel pampered. What I found during this journey is that by taking care of myself on a regular basis, I learned to love myself more. When I started treating my body like it was worthy of self-care every day, my sense of confidence and appreciation for all my body does for me increased tenfold.

One thing I want to clarify is that self-care doesn’t have a universal dictionary definition. Just like all of our bodies and personal stories are different, the way we take care of ourselves is different as well. For me, it meant going makeup-free and improving my overall cosmetic health. For others, it may mean doing a full makeup routine every day, because you don’t need a special occasion to feel your best! Maybe self-care for you has nothing to do with appearance and more to do with embracing the hobbies that are close to your heart, or practicing meditations every day that will center your mental health. The bottom line is, self-care is not a luxury. It isn’t finally using that Target face mask that’s been on your shelf for months, or doing some retail therapy with your latest paycheck. Yes we are deserving of these things, but we are deserving of them all. the. time!

That being said, I wouldn’t recommend daily retail therapy, for the sake of your credit card bill. Instead, I want to encourage you to do this little self-reflection to identify some new daily practices you can implement into your routine. Ask yourself,

“What parts of myself do I feel the need to hide- physically, mentally, spiritually? How can I learn to embrace them?”

“What are three of my favorite things about myself that are non-physical?”

“When do I feel the most confident? How can that become part of my daily routine?”

Remember, self-care isn’t always easy, it can be messy and confusing, especially at first. But as you realize how deserving you are of nourishment and love, it will become your favorite part of your day.

A San Antonio native who loves barbacoa almost as much as Chris Evans. I'm a sucker for some good sweet tea and I am very passionate about self-care being a lifestyle, not a luxury!