This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

I think everyone knows what it’s like to have bad days or months─hell, all of 2018 was a rough one. But somehow we manage to make it through the rough patches, even when it doesn’t seem like things are going to get better any time soon. So, in the middle of all the madness in life━especially college life━I think it’s good to remind ourselves why we keep going, and why we even bother trying. Here are some of my reasons for not giving up just yet:

Reason #1: I’m just too darn stubborn to quit.

You see I’d really like to say that I’m strong and resilient, but (1) I’m not sure if that sounds too conceited, and (2) I can’t stand leaving things unfinished, asking for help, or admitting when I’ve taken on too much.

Reason #2: It gets better…or so I’m told.

You know that saying that it gets better━well I like to try to believe that. I have hope that things will work themselves out in the end. I mean the idea of living ‘happily ever after” had to come from somewhere, right?

Reason #3: I’ve made it this far.

I never thought I would make it this far, I don’t really know why but I just couldn’t really see myself at this point in my life. I don’t know where my vision of my future ended, but I’m here now and it wasn’t easy to get here, so I can’t throw in the towel just yet.

Reason #4: It could be worse.

Not in the sense that other people have it worse (I know that they do) because I don’t like comparison but in the sense that things aren’t as bad as they could be FOR ME. In other words, I try to look at it as a glass-half-full rather than a  glass-half-empty scenario… emphasis on the TRY TO…it doesn’t always work out.

Reason #5: I’d like to think that there are people out there that I can have a positive influence on.

We can probably all agree that having some sort of purpose, role, or calling in the world would make the hard times much more worthwhile. My hope is that someday I can do some good for someone out there, and if so, the long trek will have been worth it.

Sydney is a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Psychology. She's an avid Youtube watcher and Netflix binger. Sydney's a lover of YA fiction, especially dystopian series, and she can often be found around campus, with earphones in, listening to an audiobook. As someone that is forever getting lost in books, she thought it was time to share her own stories and opinions.
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.