This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

How in the world do I describe the amazing artist that is grandson?

He is a mix of rock, rap, and alternative music, with a heaping amount of politics mixed in. He can easily be classified in the same category as Green Day.

I found grandson towards the beginning of 2018 with his song blood // water came up on my Spotify. His voice was different, and the emotion behind his words shined through. I knew he was going to get big.

Fast forward a few months, and Mike Shinoda (my favorite) teams up with him to make a song for Shinoda’s album, Post Traumatic, titled Running From My Shadow. RFMS is one of my favorite songs from the Post Traumatic album, and I think a lot of people agree with me about that.

So far, grandson has released two EP’s, a modern tragedy vol. 1 and vol. 2.

This past Tuesday, I had the opportunity to travel to Austin to see grandson live. The experience at his show was absolutely amazing. He played a sold out show in a 2nd story venue located on 6th street.

The atmosphere was calm before grandson took the stage, but that all changed as the first notes of his song, Stigmata, began.

His set was full of energy, anger, passion, and adrenaline. The venue was declared a safe place for all those attending the show, and all of the “grandkids” in the building appreciated the escape from reality. Since he is a newer artist, he basically played every single song that he has released.

My personal highlights of the show include his powerful performance of Thoughts and Prayers, the synchronized crowd jump during Stick Up, the intensity of experiencing Blood // Water live, hearing Apologize which is currently climbing the radio charts, and when he came out to perform an encore because we “asked so nicely.”

Are you tired of the government not listening? Are you tired of minorities getting constantly pushed to the side? Do you love passionate music?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then I seriously suggest you jump on the “grandson train” quick — this guy is gonna be HUGE!

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.