prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Reasons Why The Disturbing Realities Shown in Black Mirror Are Closer Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

As we all know, the Netflix series Black Mirror has pretty much ruined innocence and serenity beyond words at this point for many of us who have dared to watch it.

For those of you who haven’t worked up the courage to bask in it’s “twistedness” yet,  Black Mirror depicts a series of technologically advanced societies and political systems that lead to what I like to call, an “inevitable fate of dystopia.”  In fact, it reminds us that the abuse of technology can never end well.

Especially thanks to this little excuse of a fictional character that I’ll never get over.

I might also title the haunting image above as “the cliffhanger of all cliffhangers”.

Of course, I’m not here to summarize this series or spout my unpopular opinion. But as I sit in my lecture five minutes before class starts, peering around to see all of the hunched necks (including mine) glaring down at our miniature boxes of social media, I can’t help but to wonder just how close we are to a Black Mirror Society already.

Let me name a few ways:

1. Dating Apps

Season 4 Episode 4 to be exact is cleverly titled “Hang the DJ.” This episode depicts a society whose love lives are controlled by a single dating app that generates your so called “perfect match” that you are then obligated to go on a date with.

What’s the catch? An expiration date for each date you have. This process continues until you have gone on enough dates to generate your one true soulmate, according to this app.

Now, not to be dramatic… but apps like Tinder and OkCupid are about a quarter of the way to this nightmare already. With a systematic generator that “suggests” a partner based on your similar interests, all that could be missing is an expiration date for the partners you choose. Better yet, a systematic approach to dating.

Easy there Apple, we still deserve the freedom of choosing our soulmates.

2. Drones

This one is going to make me sound more paranoid than I already do. As I watched the awe-inspiring drones fly around and dance at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics opening ceremony, I had a momentary flashback to Season 3 Episode 6 “Hated in the Nation.”

This episode depicts drones in the shape of bees that are hijacked by… bad people… who use these drones to murder those who are literally “hated in the nation”. Basically it’s good intentions gone wrong, with technology being misused yet again. While my family stayed gazing at this miraculous high-tech dance, all I could think about was murderous bee drones. Thanks again, Black Mirror.

3. Social Media in General

We get it millennial hater, this generation is stuck to their phones. Season 3 Episode 1 is titled “Nosedive” and portrays a social media obsessed society whose social class relies on how many likes you get on a post. I finished watching this episode with the usual mixed feelings I get after watching ANY Black Mirror episode, but this time feeling like I was needing to take a shower.

As much as I cringed at the obscurity of it all, I’ve never felt more revolted for catching myself relating to these characters more and more. Needless to say, I stepped off of social media more than ever after this episode. This time, thank you Black Mirror… literally.

4. Creepy Coworkers Who Keep You in a Video Game as Vengeance

Yes, you read it correctly.

Season 4 Episode 1’s “USS Callister” induced the more anxiety on me that I’ve felt since Grey’s Anatomy’s bomb episode. Yes, my mind was blown and my trust levels took a steep dive yet again. I’m not sure if this episode taught me the dark side of technology or how to stay away from Robert Daly over there in the cornered cubicle. To be completely honest, it was like watching a darker, more twisted Dwight Schrute from The Office. Either way, the damage is done.

While these are only a few of the episodes I’m comparing to today’s society, I think the message is loud and clear. It’s safe to say that I’ve had my fair share of paranoia brought on by this series. For the meantime, I’ll just pray that the drones I saw in PyeongChang are tightly secured somewhere in an iron box, and then crawl back to my paper and pen for a little technology rehab.

I am currently exploring my passion in writing and hope to pursue a career in editing.
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.