10 Things to Know for UTSA Tailgates and Football Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

The long wait is over! Football season is back in action; here are a few tips for this weekend at the Alamodome!

1.     Read the flyers for the game. Some weeks are specifically themed, for instance the first home game was an ORANGE OUT. Even though I know I look better in navy, you’ll catch me sporting orange for this event to blend in with the rest of my Roadrunners. Tomorrow’s game is a PINK OUT for Zeta Tau Alpha’s philanthropy in which they raise awareness for breast cancer.

2.     Find out the time of the game! Make sure you’re a few hours early.  If you show up too late, you’ll end up getting a burnt burger and a cup of foam from the bottom of the keg. Chances are, you won’t be able to meet up with the rest of your friends either. Not to mention, the FOMO on all the classic tailgating pictures. Be sure to throw your Birds up! (And take at least one appropriate picture for the fam on Facebook).

3.     Use the shuttle buses that leave from campus! It’s so convenient! It’s basically a $5 DD and it even saves you from stressing about parking downtown! The busses are constantly leaving from the game, so even if you have to leave a little early, you’ll always catch a ride back to campus. Just don’t lose your token!

4.     Don’t forget your UTSA ID. It gets you into the game free and gets your friend who forgot his or hers a $10 ticket.  

5.     Wear your spirit wear! Whether you wear the classic UTSA logo shirt, a crafty DIY shirt you cut and tied yourself, or even just an outfit in our university colors, show up ready to support our team! And yes, face stickers and war paint are definitely still in.

6.     BRING A JACKET! Seriously, it’s freezing in the Alamodome. You’re welcome.

7.     Don’t pregame before the tailgate. You’ll be offered so many Jell-O shots and beer-bongs once you get there, you’ll forget to keep tally. As fun as the tailgate will be, you don’t want to completely miss out on the actual game (Yes, remember, that’s what you came for?) because you’re holding up the bathroom line while you’re on your date with the porcelain throne.

8.     Eat before the tailgate, or eat at the tailgate. Just eat everywhere EXCEPT inside the Alamodome. Overpricing simple foods is their specialty. Your tummy will start to grumble and despite your bank account’s protests, you’ll find yourself spending $7 for a bag of popcorn that still doesn’t satisfy you.

9.     Establish a meeting spot! Whether you and your squad decided to all sit together or not, it’s still a good idea to designate a general meeting spot for bathroom breaks/post game. Phone service inside the Alamodome is nonexistent, so you could be stranded in an orange sea for 20 minutes until you catch a glimpse of your friend’s outgrown ombre. Just be prepared and choose a spot. You’ll thank me later.

10.  Be social! We’re all students with the same love of football and our Roadrunners. Everyone will be willing to make conversation so hop from tailgate to tailgate and get to know each other. You might even find out about some cool after parties and chances are you’ll make some amazing friends, study buddies, or even future roomies (that’s what I did!).

Overall, have fun, be safe, and #GET ROWDY! GO RUNNERS!

Audry is a 22 year old English major at the University of Texas San Antonio. She enjoys traveling and being outdoors. Channeling her inner Pisces, she's an aspiring water-sport queen. Blood type: part coffee, part margarita. Hobbies include eating cheese fries, running late to everything, driving wrecklessly, and happy hour hopping. Audry plans on returning back to her home state of Colorado when she graduates this coming May. She may not be a Kardashian by birth, but you can keep up with her on Twitter and Instagram, @_likeAG.
I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞